Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Need input with drainage system lay out. in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Anthony01

Anthony01 New Member

I am dealing with a boss that has no mechanical background and a coworker that considers himself to a mechanical God which is leading me to have some concerns about a piping system that they have installed. It consists of some fluid tanks that have overflow drainage leading to a pipe that runs along the floor which finally comes to a vertical rise of about 6 inches, then proceeds to drain to a pit in the floor. I suspect that there will be an issue at the 6 inch vertical lift due to the fact that there is no head pressure in the system. I have a hunch that the overflows will start to back up and not flow freely because of this vertical lift in the pipe which will be detrimental to the proper fluid exchange needed with respect to these tanks. I believe there will be a serious back up or serious flow restriction unless we somehow remove the 6 inch lift or install a booster pump. All input is welcome!!!

2. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

Sounds like a good nutty problem. I am interested and have designed stuff like this.
    So more detail required. What’s the liquid, are we on the farm ?
    What pipe diameters , questions are endless . Do us a piccy or diagram does not have to be professional ...some scale might help. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

3. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber

as above, details please but mainly what are the tanks holding & what is the vertical distance from the tank overflow connection down to the 150mm upstand?

4. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

---- don't run up hill and when it does it makes a right mess pictures needed . Kop