Search the forum,

Discuss Need Help! in Gas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
good luck to you, but u,ll find no one will help, as said above, i had to beg people to help me for 6 months or more and go thro people i new,and id been in the game yrs so no one will help people they dont no as its compertition against them and its already full with little work

Well Payney Apart for you!, the rest are a wast of time. Will i have tryed on here but i will not be coming back its i wast of time.

sorry nobody jumped at your offer of free labour, but do yourself a favour and kick about here a while, you will learn more here than anywhere else, once you settle in and see who is who, you will get on fine, yes you will take pelters, but give it back just the same, seriously i wish you well, if you read posts on here you will pick up loads, chip in anytime you want to, the worst that can happen is that you will get slated mercilessly and verbally abused, but hey ho what else would you be doing

due to your lack of experience, your choice of jobs will be limited. I would suggest going on fault finding courses and manufacturers courses if you are familiar with electronics then I'd suggest you become a service and breakdown engineer and do landlord certificates. Teach yourself the workings of different boilers and systems, study each night learn how they are designed and how they are supposed to work. After all if you know how to make the gas safe, then who cares if you dont know how to solder a joint and install a boiler you can be a service/break down engineer plenty of guys out there who can't do installs but can repair and service appliances.

Hi Bill, people are just expressing opinion about a certain matter. And opinions are to be taken with a pinch of salt. Stick around, no point letting a bad experience ruin everything. You'll have other questions and questions you didn't even realise will be answered. On the flipside, I'm sure you'll also be in a position to help others if you stay. We can only but learn from others. If people don't like the fast track methods, interacting with those people that have qualified in such a way may have a easing their opinions. Think of yourself as a pioneer of sorts :)

Thanks for that Kimou. Your right i am finding this out. When i started out no one told me a lot of thing i am now finding out, if i had i may not of bothered. When i was made redundent i only had a small sum of money and doing this used most of it, so now i am between a rock and a hard place. I will keep trying for a bit longer. Tanks again Kimou

Thanks for that Kimou. Your right i am finding this out. When i started out no one told me a lot of thing i am now finding out, if i had i may not of bothered. When i was made redundent i only had a small sum of money and doing this used most of it, so now i am between a rock and a hard place. I will keep trying for a bit longer. Tanks again Kimou

Just stick at it mate. Get yourself on as many free manufacturers training courses as you can in the time being. Plus you could ask your local merchants if anybody knows of any jobs goin in your area. Thats how my mate found a job its a long shot but surely worth it.

Good luck

You might have half a chance of getting a job fitting meters, that seems to be the first step onto working with gas for a lot of people. All the best, it will be hard but keep at it.

My pleasure. I know that glass ceiling all too well. I can empathise totally with your situation. You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't. You're picking yourself up and starting again. Admirable on all counts. People would slight you if you just sat on your arse and claimed benefits but you're using your own funding and your own motivation to get what you want. You can't win, but it's not a competition so what the hell. Brick walls are invented for us to overcome. It's what makes us become better at dealing with situations. They are only obstacles. You've done what's required and if a body like 'The Government' has deemed this course of action acceptible, then maybe it actually is. And anyway, if you prove to be so incompetent you will lose your registration. And Gase safe are sending the engs' clients letters after installations to give them a free inspection to make sure work was done to regs.

On the other hand, people are rightfully indignant to modern schemes as it undermines what they've been taught and difficulties they've endured to get where they are. Especially initiation rituals. Why should have the right to be classified as equal when you haven't had your knackers painted bright blue stapled the the bingo halls doors on granny night?!.

You get my drift. All the crappy jobs to learn what they know so they do have good cause as bad workmanship and inexperience generally taints the industry as a whole.
It's only my opinion though. Just ride out the storm, you'll be fine.

also if you have passed your gas without going out on site or in the field so to speak you have the power to pass landlord checks how do ye no what to look for like midfeathers gone ,liners missing,fumes in lofts uncleaned chimneys so yellow flame etc dodgy boilers dodgy gas fires ,flueless gasfires that are not set right, now there lethal the list goes on
e aint said he done fires?

cant understand why your not applying to install meters for eon contracts there advertising all over the job centers and give training, you only need the met ticket?.

i wasnt slagging you off just explaining how it is and how it was for me,took me ages to find anyone to help,by lots of ringing round and begging so no how you feel ,good luck to you,but theres little work out there,if you lived by me which you dont i would help you ,and was just trying to explain how can you go from a completly diffrent trade to gas in 8 weeks theres just to much to know in that time having never done it

as redsaw and a few others ave said why dont you do meters or have you got to go with someone to pass fully

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all...I'm a newbie to the forums though ive been fiddling with gas for over 30 years.

This post caught my eye.

Are we saying that there is a course you can do that is only 8 weeks long and then your apparently fit to fly and can be registered?

How times have changed.

I served a basic 3 year craft apprenticeship then bolted on the top of that i did about a further 3 years of study in Gas engineering for more bits of paper to HND level.

I hope the OP finds his way and earns some money for him and his family but also recognises the great disparity in training.

I recently was on site where a young gas chap who had just obtained his I & C ticket,was visibly and verbally expressing great anxiety as he was having problems with the supply/boiler room/alarms going off. His actual words were.. (in an almost fearful tone) ..I need to get out of this cos i havent a clue whats going on....

apprenticeships have been around for hundreds of years, but now seems that you can do a fast track course for thousands of pounds which isnt even worth much at all, only way you'll learn is by working with tradesmen after all the stuff you done in college was a doddle, nothing compared to the real world. I've been in the trade 5 years now and I would still get someone more experienced to help me if I ever had a job which was too much for me to handle

apprenticeships have been around for hundreds of years, but now seems that you can do a fast track course for thousands of pounds which isnt even worth much at all, only way you'll learn is by working with tradesmen after all the stuff you done in college was a doddle, nothing compared to the real world. I've been in the trade 5 years now and I would still get someone more experienced to help me if I ever had a job which was too much for me to handle

I would do the same as you if I had a job that I was unsure of - I did today!

But I think that these "fast track" colleges have a lot to answer for, they have no morals in my opinion they just take peoples money and don't care about job prospects afterwards. I see nothing wrong with people doing fast track courses as long as they have a job to go to afterwards and have the after training we all required once we passed. But to just take somebodys money and wash your hands of them afterwards is wrong really

Getting your hands dirty is the best way to become a competent efficient and knowledgeable tradesman/woman. But that's not what's on offer. People are leaving out one fundemental factor- Qualification. Qualification has nothing and everything to do with the aforementioned adjectives.
What's on offer is your certificate. Some experience is provided. In all systems in life now it's about marginal achievement. From the beefburger to organic wheat to high efficiency boilers' actual real time efficiency and use the cheapest options they can get away with and direct your focus to only the highlights with prevarication and distraction-[generalism]. They only meet the bear minimum criteria. There are thinktanks paid a lot of money to devise schemes for their clients that manipulate the law to their own advantage. The certificate is required for access to work legally. So the scheme's been laid to achieve that for maybe more reasons than I could imagine. Here's one scenario:
This is all a marketing ploy to get money. The more people that work even if it means saturation and less associated salary, the more tax that gets paid. Specific businesses capitalise on this, government capitalises on it , hence the Train to Gain Skills Funding, although it's a social investment module put on ice at the moment.

There are too many illegal gas fitters out there with no way to get into the industry and this is a way of bringing them in and creat revenue too. They've recently introduced the Guild of Gas Fitters certificate for those who have no NVQ 2 plumbing to get them through that glass ceiling from Cat 3 to Cat 2.

Companies attitudes have devolved with this and refuse to take on people that are fast tracked. And require time served apprenticed graduates or something damn well near that mark.

As I said, an experienced end-product is not what's on offer, but they will share all the glory of their peers due to that misconception.

IMHO.

Its the 8 week passport course, my friend did it a couple of months ago in fact he could of been on the same course as you Bill. He's in the same boat to, he's even offered to work for free to gain experience but still no joy!! I work at that Eon training academy sometimes Bill.

Still trying to get them waste of space whispergens to work correctly?

Hi Is there any one on here that can help me or tell me how i can do this. I have just passed my gas. it was a 8 week course with E-ON in Dudley i Did this course because i was made redundent last year and all i would like to do is go back to work. I am a young 54 year old And live in Dudley West midlands. The problem is that no one will give me a job because i have no experience. I need to find someone that will give me a chance to get some hands on. Can someone Help??????. Many Thanks Bill

Hi Bill, i do feel for you. To be brutally honest with you the lack of experience is not the only thing holding you back, Dudley has loads of plumbers/heating engineers, probably to many. The current state of the trade means most companies have stopped apprenticeships and are making people redundant (in dudley anyway). This means that there are many experienced engineers that can not find work, most companies are trading at profit margins of 1 to 3% or less so cant afford to pay a wage to a non productive person as this will cause a loss on the job. Wages have dropped quite alot across all trade, so thoses with work are not earning a great amount.

Times are hard, a number of people i know have taken mundane jobs changing meters every day because its a steady wage and are waiting to see if the trade picks up again in 4 or 5 years before coming back to what they prefere to do.

I do live near you but am not in a position to help at this time, if i can in the future then i will let you know. Keep trying and i hope you find something soon.

on another matter (not ment towards you bill) how can a training center get non experienced people through these qualifications so quick? surely theres something not right with this?

Last edited:
Having just read this post I am stunned and I feel completley justified in what I have been saying to Gas Safe, anyone becoming gas safe who is working with boilers, should also be competent on heating systems

Anybody with 30+ years in the Gas, Oil or Solid fuel trades registered with the correct bodies but say as of august or whenever im not registering anymore, I've had enough, but does the odd job here and there, how does that make them a cowboy. You have somebody fully qualified but has no clue? who is the one you would have in your house?

Anybody with 30+ years in the Gas, Oil or Solid fuel trades registered with the correct bodies but say as of august or whenever im not registering anymore, I've had enough, but does the odd job here and there, how does that make them a cowboy. You have somebody fully qualified but has no clue? who is the one you would have in your house?

my self :wink::crazy::crazy:

Hi Awheating Thank you For your input, And maybe in time if i have not given up you may beable to help Many thanks again. Ps There are lots of things i can do i have had years as an engineer and all kind of jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Need Help! in Gas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hi guys I finished my gas course in September can anyone help me i need to do 2 install and services. Am living i ln leeds west yorkshire I do appreciated for any advices . MOD* Please use the forum PM Service to contact members! Thanks!
Replies
Views
Ahmad marian
A
Hi all, Desperately in need of help. Getting very annoyed with myself Replaced the click plug in my bathroom for a new Basin Slotted one along with the Thomas Dudley Basin Waste kit All relatively straightforward to put together but why is it still dripping I'm using the preexisting metal...
Replies
Views
Hello, We live in an 18 year old town house on three floors and have lived here from new. We changed the downstairs cloakroom and the family bathroom on the middle floor. Since then there has been a terrible smell of sewer gas in the house. This is not localised to the bathroom alone, it...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas foundation and in order to progress to ACS, I have to finish my portfolio. I also want to learn plumbing along with gas so I can learn more things. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as some course want to charge £1500 to pair you up with a qualified engineer. Some courses don’t offer pairing and suggest you find your own engineer to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock