Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Need advice on how to get back into plumbing in the Plumbing Courses area at

  1. Biggs

    Biggs New Member

    I'm an American plumber trying to get back into it over here in the UK. I went to the local college today and basically I was told they wouldnt even try to look at an apprenticeship for me. They said since I have only lived in the UK for 9 months that a plumber would have to fully fund my courses. Basically I was told there was no way I was going to plumb in this country.

    Surely this cant be right, anyone out there have some advice for me on getting back into it? I have no certifications just work experience. I was also told you have to go to school to do plumbing here legally..theres no way I can just start out doing on the job training?
  2. Jerry

    Jerry GSR

    Pretty sure anyone can call them selves a plumber....i have met a few.

    We dont have the whole union/jouneyman plumber thing here.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Biggs

    Biggs New Member

    Well over in the states you can work under a licensed plumber (like I was) just wondering if I can do something similar here.
  4. Jerry

    Jerry GSR

    Hmmm I dont think you have to here (depending on your defination of a plumber).

    In fact, the number of 'licensed' trades is much lower than the states. Only a few trades can sign their own work off (in lieu of a council building inspector) and the main ones are gas, electric, roofing and windows (Fensa). There will be loads more which i am sure someone will tell us.

    I would advise whatever route you choose, to quickly get some City & Guilds qualifications under your belt asap and insurance.
  5. Chalked

    Chalked Plumber GSR

    In the uk you can set yourself up as a plumber with no qualifications. But for gas work you will need to be gas safe registered.
    If you are experienced, just go for it and do plumbing repairs, bathrooms and moving radiators etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. WC1

    WC1 Active Member

    I'm afraid you might struggle to get insurance for plumbing work without a "nationally recognised" qualification, "city and guilds" is what most look for but you might want to make enquiries of insurance for yourself. Good luck I'm sure it can be done somehow
  7. CBW1982

    CBW1982 GSR Top Contributor!!

    One thing we do have here, not sure about the US, is water regulations, which if contravened and found by an inspector will likely to have consequences. Is there no way you can pay for the course yourself? I know some colleges do evening courses as well.
  8. Best

    Best Trusted Plumber

    Call yourself a Builder and you can do almost anything.
    Everybody seems to be installing bathrooms nowadays and most of them definitely are not plumbers.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. YorkshireDave

    YorkshireDave Plumber

    Colleges dont actually care about you. They care about how they get paid - period.

    As has been stated, Stevie Wonder can start plumbing in the UK tomorrow and he could take out insurance. Insurers will take you money right enough, however they may not pay out if you cannot demonstrate competence.

    If I were you, I'd be looking to set on as a labourer to a busy plumber to learn about our different systems. Don't pester just learn. You'll earn little to start, but I feel you'll pick things up quite quickly.

    Do your Water Regs course and set yourself on as many manufacturers courses as possible. Get yourself a G3 course too and then you can do unvented cylinder installation & maintenance.

    You've picked a poor time to start to be honest. The morons in Westminster not deciding on Brexit have caused the economy to slow down so plumbers generally have less work.

    Good luck tho and let us know how you get on.;)
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Biggs

    Biggs New Member

    Well my issue is what school to go to and what basic course to take just so I can get a job, I would like to do a home study thing that's somewhat inexpensive but the more I learn about it I'm really put off on trying to plumb in the UK. My knees have never felt better since I've been doing other work anyway. Doesn't even seem like it's worth it to start from the bottom all over again, which to me it's really starting to look like would be the case
Similar Threads - Need advice plumbing Forum Date
Domestic to Commercial heating - real world advice needed Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum Yesterday at 8:02 PM
Advice Needed Help! Old Style Gas Hob Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum Saturday at 6:04 PM