Search the forum,

Discuss Mystery of the leaking toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Had a new en suite fitted in March last year...
The toilet leaked - not all the time just at night we would wake up to a wet floor, we swapped the toilet... same thing. We then swapped all connectors on the toilet and swapped the toilet for a different manufacturer and we are still getting leaks every other night. This is the 3rd toilet and all connectors have been changed. My plumber is at a lose end and we do not know where to go from here any advise would be well received. I have videos of the leak from behind the toilet showing the camera pointing to the front of the toilet but it won’t let me upload them.
Thanks

Any pictures mate?

I’ve attached 4 I’ve screenshoted the video at different points so you can see where the water is comming from
Thanks

BDEE811F-9B70-4B3D-A020-F9645E493186.png

265D4E3D-96A4-4350-BDA3-793275616F39.png

33AE0509-109E-4EBF-97AF-D2E0F61E38FE.png

C15F82F3-5363-4CC3-9B7C-6AD111F2E00C.png

I cannot see properly from the picture. Where is the water next too when it is visible?
This is from a dash cam at the back of the toilet pointing towards the front of the bowl the water is comming from the left. It appears to come from under neath toilet side and then follows the grout line out the front and sides

This is from a dash cam at the back of the toilet pointing towards the front of the bowl the water is comming from the left. It appears to come from under neath toilet side and then follows the grout line out the front and sides
Did you check the pan connector if that’s connected properly to the toilet? Did you try changing the pan connector?

If you've wrapped all connections in kitchen roll and they've been dry but the floor still gets wet, It could possibly be as Riley has said, a screwed pipe under the floor so remove the toilet and the fixings and see if you get wet. Failing that it could be either condensation or you need to aim better when your using the toilet :D

i had one like this a few years ago , after installation i tested the toilet {vanity type} with around 10 flushs , paper tissue around the flush pipe and pan connector all dry so thats me done! , two weeks later we get a phone call , wet floor! , replaced the pan connector as the flush pipe was dry , passed the paper towel test , phone call again a week later! basically i pulled the toilet out set it up on a bench and poured water through it manually so i could see the back side perfectly , turns out it was a tiny pin hole in the pottery around the flush area but not near the flush pipe , a small drip would of occured with around 10 flush's i recon , took quite abit of water to produce that one drip , that drip then adds up over a week + ...

If this isn't fixed yet, try getting a couple of bottles of different coloured food dye. Put one colour in the cistern, another into the water in the pan. Leave some white kitchen paper where the puddle forms and wait...

This should narrow down your search area a bit.

Note added later: I've had great success using dyes for tracing the source of difficult leaks but keep in mind that they may stain some types of finish. So, if the bathroom floor has been done with in Carrarra marble tiles at a gazillion quid a square meter you probably don't want to use this method without thinking about how to protect the finish. On the other hand, a leaky bog is a problem that has to be fixed somehow.

Last edited:
It can't be the toilet pan then, it's got to be further back towards the wall and running under the tiles or down a grout line to the left (from the back of the pan.)
When it has leaked - all pipe work leading to the toilet cistern and waste are dry and if it’s comming from under tiles would I not have a wet patch on the ceiling below?
Only thing I think of doing is taking the toilet completely out and see if it leaks from
Somewhere else ?

Reply to Mystery of the leaking toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock