Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss My shower is making noise in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. nlacey4!

nlacey4! New Member

Hello everyone,

Over the last couple of days, my shower of only 3 years has been making a loud noise in the morning. It will happen before and during the shower. What can it be and can I fix it myself? I have tried turning off the water to the house, but the sound continues. I am not a plumber and have never really done any plumbing, but I am reasonably good at DIY work around the home.

Any help would be appreciated.

A video of the noise is below.

2. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR Top Contributor!!

If it happens before the shower is turned on, then I’m thinking it won’t be the shower. Do you have a combi boiler or tank and cylinder? I’m thinking perhaps a failed float valve? Or noisy pump if you have one?

3. nlacey4!

nlacey4! New Member

Thanks for replying. I have a Baxi combi boiler installed in 2015. I don't have a tank or cylinder. The boiler was serviced on Monday 10th June and they said it was fine. The sound only seems to come from the part of the shower that is recorded in the video.

4. CBW1982

If you’re turning the water off to the house the noise should stop. Is it definitely shutting off the house, or is the stopcock failing?

5. nlacey4!

nlacey4! New Member

Yes, we have a stockcock on the street leading into the house and one under sink. When I've switched it off under the sink, all of the water in the house stops. I've then gone up to the shower and switched it on to try and drain any water and no water comes out. No water comes out of any tap. Unfortunately, the noise still persists.

6. CBW1982

You could try turning your boiler off to see if it still makes the noise? Do you have a pump for the shower?

7. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

So the noise persists after your water is turned off and drained? If that's the case it likely isn't the shower.
    It could be something vibrating against the pipes feeding the shower though. Have you turned the heating off to see if that stops it. Also any extractor fans or anything. Where does the pipes feeding the shower go?

8. nlacey4!

nlacey4! New Member

Thanks both of you. When the sound happens again I will try turning off the boiler and seeing if that helps and the I'll message again.

Re. Craig.
    The power for the extractor fan is on the other side of the room. As for the pipes, I think they run down the back of the shower and under the floorboards to the boiler. I probably am completely wrong about that though.