Search the forum,

Discuss My new walk in shower draining slowly but not all the time. Is it an airlock? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Caz

Hi there. I have had a new shower fitted with a low Profile shower tray by Merlyn Truestone. About three or for times a week it drains slowly and overflows the low form tray. Once we use the plunger on it it’s fine. Does this suggest an airlock and if so what do I do?
The drainage pipes from the shower run straight for about 2.5 feet then there’s a 90 degree turn and then it joins the basin waste pipe via a T junction. The basin and toilet drain without any problems. The builder is adamant the right fall is on the pipes. Is this an airlock? All advice very welcome!

Sounds like the waste pipe is the issue

Is it a new waste pipe or have they just reused the existing waste pipe.

Do you clean the hair out of the trap. (Ours has to be done twice a week I think my mrs is going bald)

It sounds like a partial blockage to me.

Is it a new waste pipe or have they just reused the existing waste pipe.

Do you clean the hair out of the trap. (Ours has to be done twice a week I think my mrs is going bald)

It sounds like a partial blockage to me.
Hi there. But if it’s a blockage why does it drain well some days and not others? Also no build up of hair - this problem has been happening off and on since we had the bathroom refurbished a few weeks ago so no time for hair to build up.

A sticky one way 40mm 1 way valve has given similar symptoms. Had me tearing my hair out, turned out the clowns had boxed it in.. just a thought.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mcalp...gclid=CMzkzKi_2uICFdaI1Qod5YAK8w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hi there. But if it’s a blockage why does it drain well some days and not others? Also no build up of hair - this problem has been happening off and on since we had the bathroom refurbished a few weeks ago so no time for hair to build up.

You said once you use a plunger it works fine again so you have shifted the blockage.

Just get someone in the camera the drain.
Then you'll know for sure whether the builder has done it right.

Let him know that if there is a problem, he will be up for the repairs & rectifications including the cost of the camera inspection.

A sticky one way 40mm 1 way valve has given similar symptoms. Had me tearing my hair out, turned out the clowns had boxed it in.. just a thought.

Ask the "builder" if he fitted one of these.

It is poor practice to tee basin/shower wastes together as it can result in basin waste entering the shower - to combat this "builders" often fit these one way valves - causing the problem you are experiencing.

Ask the "builder" if he fitted one of these.

It is poor practice to tee basin/shower wastes together as it can result in basin waste entering the shower - to combat this "builders" often fit these one way valves - causing the problem you are experiencing.
I have spoken to the plumber the builder used on the job. He said he’s confident the 90 degree turn and the T junction do not affect the flow. The drainage pipes from the shower are 1.5 inches in diameter. Maybe our best bet is to get a camera down there ....

IF the op was to put plugs in basin(s) and tape over the overflows and then finds the shower doesn`t drain would that help pin point the problem area?
(Just asking).

But painting shouldn’t cause any detrimental affect to a system if you don’t have a clue. It will just look crap

Reply to My new walk in shower draining slowly but not all the time. Is it an airlock? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a few issues with my bath drainage and leaking. The first issue is that the near corner of the bath by the taps is sloped downwards meaning that it pools in the corner and quickly starts leaking through gaps in the shower screen onto the floor rather than into the bath. The rest of...
Replies
Views
K
I have installed a new shower valve and shower head (the restrictor um fell out) and as a result the tub starts to fill with water. I believe this is simply a math problem of more water coming in than can drain but asking if any known options. As a sanity check I did snake the drain and...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm seeking advice on resolving the persistent blockage issues with my downstairs toilet. A year ago, I replaced an 80s close-coupled toilet with a more affordable model. This new toilet is a back-to-wall type featuring a concealed cistern within a separate unit. Since its installation...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new here, first post. I'll apologise in advance for not knowing or using the correct terminology. I haven't done much DIY plumbing for 30 years since I put in a central heating system to an old cottage. I am planning to put a new shower room/wc/basin into the right hand end of the room...
Replies
Views
Hello there! I hope your weekend has started well. TL/DR: Should I replace 90-degree bend with a smaller type to increase the fall from the shower tray? I am replacing a bathtub with a 1500 X 800 Sonas shower tray which I will place on 4-inch blocks, probably with some 18mm marine ply on top...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock