Search the forum,

Discuss Must balanced flue inner and outer be the same length? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi. Our builders hit a problem with extending the balanced flue through a new extension. Their solution was to have the outer, intake pipe terminate at an external wall, but add an extra section to the inner pipe to take the exhaust away from the next house. However, the gas boiler was repeatedly shutting down and they have had to remove the extra pipe for now. The boiler is a GlowWork Flexicom.

Can anyone answer these theories as about why the boiler might be shutting down:

1) The inner and outer pipes should end at the same point
2) The extra pipe has two sharp bends, which is causing extra resistance
3) The weather is very cold, resulting in excess condensation on a 2m external run of flue.

Any other ideas gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

The bends your describing are fine if they indeed are a plume kit , ( I'm not saying the installation is fine), however you say they've been put in to take combustion away from a nieghbouring house so sounds a bit alarming and Defo needs a gas safe registered engineer to check rather than a builder as for all we know it's been dangerously fitted and struggling to work, please contact your local engineer to have a look ,

Thanks for your replies, everyone. The bodge arose because the planned vent through the extension roof was not possible. We think we have a better solution now, but will take up your suggestion of getting 3rd party qualified opinion. In the meantime we would like to dispute the installation I have sketched. Further research tells me that the inner and outer pipe ends need to be in close proximity and the sketch shows significant separation.

Flue.png

Should never really be coming out so close to your neighbour. Plume management kit does alleviate some of the nuisance. Poor planning. Why can’t it go up through the extension roof. Would love some pics. And also don’t box it in without inspection hatches. I don’t believe a gas engineer would run it like that given the choice. Seems like builder playing gas man to me. Don’t wait until it’s all finished before you get it checked

Can't see why it should cause the boiler to shut down if it's the boiler manufacturers part specific for that boiler.

If however if it's solvent waste pipe and bends, then ???

There should never have been any attempt to fit the flue facing the neighbour if it's so close to the boundary, suggesting it's not been planned by a GSR.

The boiler was existing and the extension has been built over the original flue I'd guess?

@Riley You mention the flue been too close to the neighbours property, but am I right in saying you shouldn't terminate the flue within 600mm of the boundary which it looks to me like it is.

Personally this whole thread seems sketchy and I don't think any advise should be given other than to get a competent enginner in to sort it.

Thanks for your comments everyone. We are insisting on a registered fitter to sort it out.
Good, if it's one the builder is employing then ask to see his gas safe I.D card and check his details online. By what you've posted here I would have lost all trust in the builder you are using.

Reply to Must balanced flue inner and outer be the same length? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock