Search the forum,

Discuss multiple c/h problems, are they linked? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
as the title suggests we have multiple problems with our c/h and are looking for any guidance or advice. I thought it best to list all the problems we have, as briefly as possible, in the hope someone could help with any of them or maybe see a link between some of them to point me in a certain direction to fixing them. Sorry for the long post in advance!
We have an ideal logic heat 24 boiler with a ferox tf1 magnafilter above it, 11 rads and a grunfos alpha 2 pump.
All of these problems started after our landlord replaced a radiator for us himself, drained down the whole system but didnt add an inhibitor? so the following winter, a few rads downstairs had huge cold spots,which then the rads were removed and cleaned out manually.
One of the rads in the kitchen has never worked properly since, this is our main problem.
This rad runs off microbore pipe, and now takes approx 4 hours to warm up fully, but never as hot as any other rads. When the system was new, you would walk past this rad and feel the heat coming off it(a double rad) and would quite often keep it on a low setting.
The strange thing is the pipe on the side of the tvr is always cold, even when the rad has warmed up a bit, but the return pipe is hot? Also on the return side the valve is warm, the extension between the valve and the rad and the pipe between the front and back of the rad are also warm but not the rad?The lockshield valve and the tvr are both fully open so if the valves were on the wrong end it should still warm up? If you turn off every other rad in the house, this rad works normally and heats up properly. This rad is also the one that has a drain on it , on the return side of the rad,and is used to drain down the system.
Our pump used to work fine on speed 2, and you could never hear it. Now it has the run on 3 otherwise otherwise system takes ages to heat up. It is now very noisy, even when turned down to 2, a loud humming noise. This is approx 2 years old. If i was to remove the pump head rather than the whole pump(more confident on not creating a leak by doing this) what am i looking for to see if its ok?
The automatic air vent near the boiler, if you do open it too much, pours constantly with water, does this need replacing? ive managed to open it a tiny bit without it leaking water, but will it still vent air like this?
The rad next to airing cupboard, the first rad in the system i guess,needs bleeding most days, ive put an automatic bleed valve on it but they seem to work for a few weeks and then stop?
The plumber showed me how to clean out the magnafilter without taking off the top, as it kept leaking. When ive done it he told me to bleed the valve on the top. Now even when i havent emptied it, you hear a bubbling noise coming from that area, and bleeding this filter stops that?

Many thanks in advance for any help at all. Sorry for the long post, but ive tried to give as much information as possible so hopefully it will trigger something in someones mind and maybe link a few problems together.

Sounds like your system needs balancing

When the system is cold turn half the trvs off (the ones that work well) do all the other rads heat up ?

Yes if the auto air vent leaks needs replacing

Any bubbling noise is air little tip for the filter open the lowest valve first then open the air bleeder once aired closed the bleeder and open the other valve

The TRV could be on your return of your rad if it’s bi directional an the lock shield valve could be on your flow to it,try removing the TRV head an try pushing the pin on the TRV up an down if it feels free try leaving the TRV head off an turning your heating on see if this makes a difference to how quickly it heats.If not should be a balancing issue or the TRV body is sticking/seized

System drawing in air? Possible issue with feed and vent configuration? System requires balancing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to multiple c/h problems, are they linked? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock