Search the forum,

Discuss Multi tools!? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or a Birmingham spanner

Bait break (10 o'clocksies)

If you want something for floorboards and joists get yourself a rip snorter instead of a toy.
Never felt or had the need to use a multitool but if it lights your candle fair enough.

that's exactly what multi-tools are tamz, toys, they can just about handle floorboards in a dolls house, but no real use in plumbing.

You know its funny isn't it. Despite all the new gadgets I still reach for my Conex spanner, Footprints and pump gland pliers if I want to tighten a compression coupling. Oh! Aye and the crows foot.

Bernie, you may just start off a new thread on what is a conex spanner :lol:

aye the old conex spanner, i wonder if you can still buy one, had mine for a good 30 years, would hate to loose it. i've got 2 other proper spanners that you could never replace, bought them when i was an apprentice for 10p each at the barra's. quality spanners are hard to get nowadays.

Bills toolstore?

My old conex spanner is in an old tool box somewhere in the garage. I got it as a freeby when i was at collage when the Conex rep came in to tell us we didn't need boss white on their stuff :lol:
Used it for many years but it just found its way into one of the not used very often boxes of tools. It was a good spanner tho.

no, not bills toolstore, i got the spanners from one of the stalls. the barra's is not like it used to be, all fake stuff nowadays cig's, cd's etc. give it a few more years & it'll be gone.

Yes I have found a lot of modern stuff is rubbish as well, until the middle seventies the local council demanded compression fittings be used on their new houses. So a Conex spanner was usually welded into your hand all day. I still use one on the odd job I do now and then, but the number of backnuts it now fits are getting fewer and fewer. I bough ta new 22 x 15 spanner from Tool station recently, its good but not small and compact like the Conex, which could even reach under a washbasin to release the tap adaptor nuts.

Anyway, nearly all pipework today seems to be end feed. Its cheap I suppose, but when you look at some jobs the number of elbows they use is fantastic I wonder if they calculate flow resistance or just do it?

I find with modern tools, that they may be good ideas, but the metal they make them from is usually very weak and they often round out or break.

The old Footprints still serve well, you can drop them, stand on them and they still come back smiling. The pump gland pliers are still highly useful. But then with so much push fit about you do not need them as much as you once did. They were great until the location grooves wore down and they slipped crushing your fingers.

I must admit though, the modern crows foot or washbasin wrench seem better. The old cast ones seldom fit anything properly now. You can tend to have a go with them though but they slip and risk breaking the basin. I tended in later years to use a box spanner for tightening tap back nuts when dressing basins, tops or baths. But they were a bit useless when on repair work and the tap was already piped up. The pipework gets in the way. I use an old Monument swinging arm crow foot, but its fiddly. The modern bear hug crow foot looks good, but the cost? And I suspect the jaws and head may need more room to work than you find under many modern basins.

GOOD TO SEE YOUR STILL POSTING TAMZ

Multi tool - until you've got one you don't realise how handy it is- u can get by without one don't get me wrong but start using one and you'll have a tidy finish to awkward jobs -

Multi tool - until you've got one you don't realise how handy it is- u can get by without one don't get me wrong but start using one and you'll have a tidy finish to awkward jobs -

Damn skippy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A circular saw is a much easier way of lifting floorboards but if the customer has got nice sanded boards a multimaster puts a much neater cut across the boards and as a bonus doesn't chuck sawdust everywhere.

Need to cut a metal pipe off flush with a wall. A grinder is quickest but throws sparks everywhere. A recip saw will take it off in a flash but is inclined to leave score marks in the wall. A multimaster will do a lot less damage to the surrounding surfaces.

Need to take a board out under a bath. Circular saw won't fit, recip saw will but is a bit vicious to be flailing around under a plastic bath. Turn the blade sideways in a multimaster and you have the ideal tool.

I've yet to find another tool that will cut a board right next to the skirting without damaging the skirting.

I've used mine to cut out a section of soil pipe, to insert a branch when the soil was set in a recess with no access for any other type of saw other than one of those awful hand held wire things.

There are generally other tools that you can use but they don't do the job with the same level of finesse.

Can these cut cast iron soil stack pipe or am I better off using an angle grinder?

Cheers chaps

Has anyone got or tried the AEG BWS 12c thats currently on sale in B&Q for £99.99? It comes with only the multitool head and blades but for the price seems to good to be true??

I've never actually cut a cast stack so couldn't say.

yes i would say an angle grinder for cutting last iron. although there is a technique i haven't used whereby you cut halfway through with a hacksaw and whack it with a lump hammer and it is supposed to break cleanly where you have cut through.

A recip saw will work on a cast iron stack with the right blade. A grinder chucks iron filings everywhere and they rust and stain.

A recip saw will work on a cast iron stack with the right blade. A grinder chucks iron filings everywhere and they rust and stain.

Interesting!

ive tried all sorts of ways to cut existing cast and i always go back to the good old hacksaw. Just use a good blade.

I'll go for the Bosch then.....

ive tried all sorts of ways to cut existing cast and i always go back to the good old hacksaw. Just use a good blade.
Buy yourself a decent grinder or if you want to get through it in one cut, a stihl saw. Usually available on a Friday night in you local pub for under £200-

Chain saws might also be available on Friday nights.

I used to live in a village and my dad was a prosecuting solicitor (the one who gives the police side of the story to courts).

Back in the 1980's he prosecuted a couple of village blokes who were attacking each other with running, petrol chain saws. I never did hear if one or both ended up in hospital (or the local asylum).

Reminds me of when i was young and watched 2 local halfwits settle an argument with shotguns and bucket lids at 40 paces!
Both of them got hit but they were fine after they picked the pellets out :lol:

Buy yourself a decent grinder or if you want to get through it in one cut, a stihl saw. Usually available on a Friday night in you local pub for under £200-

got a large makita grinder i use for slabs, roof tiles etc but i still prefere to use a hacksaw...... i like a challenge :)

Has anyone ever used the Milwaukee 12v multi tool? Is their 12v range of stuff any good?

Has anyone ever used the Milwaukee 12v multi tool? Is their 12v range of stuff any good?

I haven't used the multitool, but I have other 12v stuff and it's awesome. I hardly ever get my 18v drill out of the van these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Multi tools!? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock