Search the forum,

Discuss Multi tools!? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whn1

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
240v multitool. About to finally take the plunge and get one for those awkward floor boards and joists.
what ones do you recommend.

IMHO the Fein Multimaster is the best but if it's only for occasional use plump for a Bosch or other make. Don't go for the genuine blades though, they cost a fortune.

Yea I was looking at the Bosch, wondering if he 180e would be man enough, it seems a bit cheap, or go for the 250e, and like you say I'll only be using it occasionally.

The fein multimaster for me, great tool, plenty of uses for it as well. I don't leave home without it :)

Flea bay for replacement blades.

I've got the Bosch GOP 250 CE. This tool is made to the highest standards for the trade. I've only used it a handful of times, I've been very impressed with it though. It looks nice and has a quality feel to it. The Fein looked better, but was too expensive for how little I was going to use it.

The other Bosch PMF 180 green model is aimed at the DIY market and is made to an incredibly low standard. The main selling point of this model is the brand. I don't think you can buy the green one in Germany and some other country's because it doesn't meet their minimum standards for quality, reliability, etc.

So stay away from Bosch green power tools, they are not aimed at the professional.

The 250 it is then!

Got a cheap 30 quid one from b and q - Mcallister I think it is - does the job and comes with attachment to use Bosch blades.

I also got a cheapy, for the amount of times I use it, it really didn't make sense to spend vast amounts.

I have the Fein one, & does the nearly impossible jobs. Over £200, though! For as little as most people will use it, try a cheap one. Lidl did a multi tool complete with various blades, for about £30! Got to be a bargain & Bosch blades fit it.
Agree you should avoid most Bosch green tools.

I have the cheap green bosch.
Does everything that I need it to.In fact it is better than the blue bosch cordless one that I had.

I have the cordless Bosch. I would avoid that one. If I was to buy another, it would be the Milwaukee 12v multitool. In fact I'm probably gonna get this anyway, as the Bosch batteries are crap. One won't charge anymore and the lugs have snapped off the other.

If I was gonna buy a corded one it would prob be the Fein multimaster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've got the 10.8v bosch multitool, probably the best toe nail trimmer i've ever had, not sure it's good for much else though, cutting back boxes into plasterboard maybe...

I'm on my second 180pmf. First one's motor broke. If this one breaks I'm looking for another make.

If you want something for floorboards and joists get yourself a rip snorter instead of a toy.
Never felt or had the need to use a multitool but if it lights your candle fair enough.

If you want something for floorboards and joists get yourself a rip snorter instead of a toy.
Never felt or had the need to use a multitool but if it lights your candle fair enough.
how wide is the cut tho ?

A circular saw. This wee baby will rip through most things you will ever need
Dewalt D23550 6 1/2"/165mm Circular Saw 240V
Take the riving knife off and fit a thin blade.

1.5 - 2mm if you put a thin blade in.

How is that even relevant? Every plumber should have one of these as a necessity.

A multiple tool is a luxury that can genuinely make life easier. Totally different tool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

How is that even relevant? Every plumber should have one of these as a necessity.

A multiple tool is a luxury that can genuinely make life easier. Totally different tool.

Yes a multi tool is a totally different tool and IMO a totally unnecessary tool for trade use. I've been doing this garbage for 39 years and can honestly say i never wished i had a multitool (yes i have tried them out of curiosity borrowed from other trades on a job) to make anything i have ever done easier. Anything it can do i can do just as easy or easier and quicker by other means.
BUT if you or anyone else thinks they need one then go for it. Everyone to their own skill set.

A circular saw is a much easier way of lifting floorboards but if the customer has got nice sanded boards a multimaster puts a much neater cut across the boards and as a bonus doesn't chuck sawdust everywhere.

Need to cut a metal pipe off flush with a wall. A grinder is quickest but throws sparks everywhere. A recip saw will take it off in a flash but is inclined to leave score marks in the wall. A multimaster will do a lot less damage to the surrounding surfaces.

Need to take a board out under a bath. Circular saw won't fit, recip saw will but is a bit vicious to be flailing around under a plastic bath. Turn the blade sideways in a multimaster and you have the ideal tool.

I've yet to find another tool that will cut a board right next to the skirting without damaging the skirting.

I've used mine to cut out a section of soil pipe, to insert a branch when the soil was set in a recess with no access for any other type of saw other than one of those awful hand held wire things.

There are generally other tools that you can use but they don't do the job with the same level of finesse.

Mainly use my multitool for exposed floorboard cuts, cutting in dry lining boxes and for when Im fitting kitchens.
I do like the thing, but christ it is noisy.

For normal floorboards, under carpet etc, then yes Tamz I use the circular saw, with the thinner blade.

What are some others, just so i know what people are talking about on here.

I don't know but my favourite in the car world is a bidet (rear wash/wipe).

mains stopcock in pavement-toby
customer-custard
there's more i can't remember at the mo

Fanny trap -HepV0 valve
Pooftah Tape - PTFE tape
Wizard hat - helical plasterboard fixing
Roll of blue tissue - Elephant bog roll
Bubbles - leak detection fluid
Persuader - hammer

Why are people calling a circular saw a "rip snorter"?
I've always called it that as does everyone i know

The dictionary definition of ripsnorter is
A person or thing that is noted for strength, intensity, violence or excellence
A circular saw fits well with that description.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Multi tools!? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock