Search the forum,

Discuss Multi input heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

We bought an new (very old) house a year or so ago.

It’s have a new valiant system boiler installed in the past couple of years but the rest of the system is fairly mature. DHW is via an invented cylinder, I’d like to improve hot water pressure to am looking at options.

We have a couple of open fires, the boss says she’d like a multi fuel stove in one of them. I’m planning to fit an unvented cylinder or thermal store in the cellar because the pipe runs would be easy/short.

Does anyone have much experience of using multiple heat sources? As a means of future proofing it seems to make sense to have a heat input for some form of renewable.

Are heat stores a white elephant? Or do they work well? Would you bother to tie a stove into a heating system if it were your house?

This subject has come up before. You will get plenty of advice. My opinion is if you are on mains gas its not worth it but if not maybe. One thing you must do is get a hetas eng. to design and install a heat store as multi fuel sources can be dangerous in wrong hands as their output is to some extent uncontrolled. Stoves and open fireplaces look lovely and are a modern must for older homes with chinmeys and fireplaces. If you have a suitable roof some solar collection might be worth considering esp. if its not in full view. centralheatking

I am confused you say you have an unvented cylinder. Then you want to upgrade the pressure to an unvented cylinder?? FYI must be fitted by a G3 engineer not a diy job. There are allsorts of options with multifuel however once again not a DIY option and will need properly designing and setting up for safety

I am confused you say you have an unvented cylinder. Then you want to upgrade the pressure to an unvented cylinder?? FYI must be fitted by a G3 engineer not a diy job. There are allsorts of options with multifuel however once again not a DIY option and will need properly designing and setting up for safety

Hi Rilev,

That was an auto correct mistake, we have a vented cylinder.

I have lived with solid fuel heating as the only heat source. A stove is like a child. It has to be fed and cleaned. It makes a mess. You have to check on it, put it to bed, wake it in the morning etc.

People love the idea of them but until you live with then you don't realise how much work they are. Unless you get one of those pretty auto hopper fed biomass pellet stoves.

Also, if you are going to get a heat store, make sure it's big and really well insulated. You will probably still need a gas boiler to raise the final temperature to an acceptable level. I had to do this last year for a customer who had-
-Solid fuel stove
-Solar thermal
-Solar PV
And was contemplating a heat pump.

Slapped an Intergas boiler on the system and everyone was happy.

I hope this helps

With log burners/multi fuel stoves you always seem to end up with a room that’s ridiculously hot. It just seemed like an option to spread some of the heat about the house.

It would be to supplement a gas system boiler and likely some solar.

With log burners/multi fuel stoves you always seem to end up with a room that’s ridiculously hot. It just seemed like an option to spread some of the heat about the house.

That's probably the best idea

I have lived with solid fuel heating as the only heat source. A stove is like a child. It has to be fed and cleaned. It makes a mess. You have to check on it, put it to bed, wake it in the morning etc.

People love the idea of them but until you live with then you don't realise how much work they are. Unless you get one of those pretty auto hopper fed biomass pellet stoves.

Also, if you are going to get a heat store, make sure it's big and really well insulated. You will probably still need a gas boiler to raise the final temperature to an acceptable level. I had to do this last year for a customer who had-
-Solid fuel stove
-Solar thermal
-Solar PV
And was contemplating a heat pump.

Slapped an Intergas boiler on the system and everyone was happy.

I hope this helps
Well presented Jerry..you put my ideas fwds way better ..your
advice is spot on
centralheatking

Well presented Jerry..you put my ideas fwds way better ..your
advice is spot on
centralheatking
Thanks!
I don't want to live with a bloody log burner again. Grate for a romantic evening but a royal pain in the arse, day in and day out.

As to the other renewable technology, you are going to have to figure out the long term gains and take any answers with a pinch of salt.

Saying that, a client had solar PV and he got about 1.5 car charges a day for free. But he did have one of those massive Tesla's and I don't think money saving was the main drive behind most his choices.

MFB's if correctly sized shouldn't give you that problem but folks do like to go for larger than they need as well as over-fuel them. Add a back boiler and use it to supplement your hot water unless you're going to add other sources, I'd just opt for a twin coiled cylinder.

Reply to Multi input heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock