Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Mr Plumber Horror Story in the Plumbing Courses area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. MorrG

MorrG Member

2. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber GSR

I had same problem in Kent with another company 2 years ago and everyone paid so much money including me and what did we get nothing . no certificates that we last the Theorie nothing at all. They just run away with all the money. All the big companies get laid but you as a tradesman you won’t see a penny. That’s called legal stealing. There is no legal body to sort thing s like this, that would never happen in Europe.

3. MorrG

MorrG Member

I had one guy lie directly to my face. He told me that NVQ’s weren’t a thing anymore and that C&G certificates were now the new standard. He tried selling me a 6035-03 certificate for £6500! What’s worse is he said if was ‘pay as you learn’ so as long as you paid back the full amount eventually you’d be alright if you missed payments now and then, this was nonsense as reading the small print informed me that there would be ‘servere consequences for missing payments’ thankfully I didn’t sign with that training centre as I would probably still be paying them back now.

4. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Who calls it legal stealing Ron and what makes you so sure it wouldn`t happen in Europe? Companies go to the wall all over the world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber GSR

I call it leagal stealing . People get ripped off and they want see a lenny afterwards. How often that happens the lasy 2 years . you havent got any legal body which helps those People who went through such a time. I do t think its nice to pay 5k and seeing f.oh in the end. Who wins, the guys who run the company . another say they Open 7nder a different name and ripping thousand of other People off. I know it wont happen in germany because there is a legal body where you get your monet back. I agree everywhere in the world companies go in liquidation but Here in uk it’s just too often. Sorry, but it ain’t right . I have been there and know how it feels

6. gmartine

gmartine GSR

Aren't these the sh*t sticks who tried to promote a plumbers app here?

7. MorrG

MorrG Member

I made an inquiry with them and then sent me two emails and called me four times! I even said on the first call that I’d think about it and call them back but they were very Persistent. A real college would never do that, feel bad for the people that lost money trying to better themselves.

8. Jim Goodenough

Jim Goodenough Plumber

The individuals who devise such crooked schemes 'should' have assets to the value of what they rip genuine, hard-working people off stripped from them!
    There should be system that the 'hard-working, honest individual, who wants to learn' gets reimbursed IN FULL...

9. leelister6

leelister6 Plumber GSR

Would paying for courses by credit card afford some protection?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. CHRISX

CHRISX Active Member

Hello leelister6 / All,

Thanks to leelister6 for mentioning the possibility of obtaining Credit card refunds - that is a definite possibility.

I do hope that this will be helpful to anyone who has paid for Training courses by Credit card and has not received the training or part of it:

The `Consumer Credit Act 1974 - Section 75` gives protection for all Credit card payments of between £100.00 and £30,000.

Putting it very simply if one pays for something that you either do not receive or is faulty and the Company / Seller refuses to resolve the situation or give a refund - or as in this case has ceased trading having taken payments but have not provided the training - You can claim a full refund from your Credit card provider.

They do not have to be able to reclaim the money back from the Company - the Credit card provider has to accept the loss - that is part of their responsibility as `Approved Lenders` who are regulated by various regulatory bodies and who have to abide by all of the regulations contained in the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

For Refunds in cases like this contact them and ask to claim under - `Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act`.

I hope that I am not breaking any Forum rules by posting this link to the Money Saving Expert website where much more detail is available about this `Section 75` Consumer Credit Act protection:

Section 75 refunds: free protection over £100 - MSE

I hope that this will be helpful to any Member / Reader who has had payments taken by this or any other Company in the future who do not provide what has been paid for.

Regards,

Chris

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  11. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber

I do feel for those who have lost money I really do but it has happened so many times, over so many years that with a small amount of research into what is required to become a qualified plumber & which qualifications are accepted on site it should have flagged up the dangers of going with these type of (so called) training providers. As with most things it is buyer be where & if becoming a fully qualified trade person in 'X' amount of weeks seems too good to be true (as a posed to 3-4 years) then it probably is.

I think C&G have a lot to answer for, first of all they said the only qualification for our industry was going to be the 6089 NVQ (site base evidence requirement) this was going to be the replacement for the 6129 which had been thoroughly abused by FE colleges & private training alike. Then they worked out how much income they were going to loose, all of a sudden up pops the 6035 - no NVQ required.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber

Wouldn't happen (legally) in Italy either. In Italy, a limited company has an administrator who takes personal responsibility for the company's debts. You can't just take your salary and declare the company insolvent as you can over here.

Knew a guy who ran a chair factory in Italy. When the business went bust, he and his wife got to stay in their mansion until the children were 18, but they had to pay rent to stay there, and, later, they had to move out. The mansion had been sold to pay the business' debts.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MorrG

MorrG Member

This particular company were offering people NVQ qualifications (6189 certificates) because they were actually a plumbing company as well as a training centre. They would place learners who had completed their 6035 certificate in work for two weeks so they could complete their portfolio and get the necessary parts done onsite to achieve the NVQ.

14. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber

And therein lies to problem TWO Weeks on site experience seriously !!
    Do they think that a trade I spend 4 years learning can be done in 10 days & don't tell me how long they spent in the training centre cos that is not where you learn how to plumb.
    I actual find it quite insulting that people believe that it can be like this. This world is fast becoming a place where people believe that in place of hard graft there must & should be a sort cut.
    The reality is that worthwhile things have to be worked at in this life.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber

On the other hand, if you get the right experience, you don't necessarily need 4 years to learn it. During those 4 years, you probably spent a lot of your time doing the same tasks repeatedly, many of which did not require much knowledge or skill, and perhaps you learnt a new thing every day.

Not everyone can learn 10 new things a day, or gets the opportunity to, but you will appreciate there is a world of difference between a situation in which you are trying to get a job done and earn a wage, while learning as you go, and a situation in which the person you are working with is actively trying to get you to learn as much as possible.

My point being that 10 days is far too short a time, but a fast learner, in the right conditions and with the right people (a situation that a training centre could, hypothetically, bring about), could learn the trade in significantly less than 4 years. Which doesn't mean this is what is happening in practice.

• Like Like x 1