Search the forum,

Discuss Moving gas meter - new pipes to reconnect in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PlumbingPenguin

Hi. New to this forum and hope someone can advise. I have had the gas company over as we are thinking of moving our gas meter to make way for an extension. They said there are two places it can be moved to: one is close to the existing entry pipe into the house, the other is further away but more convenient for us. They said the point further away will cost more due to the additional pipe work to get it reconnected to the entry point into the house. Also it might mean a larger pipe is needed due to the flow rate.

I understand all of this - what I don't understand is, if I need a wider pipe to go from the new meter to the entry pipe, does this mean the pipes inside the house going from that point to the boiler need to be be the larger size as well? Or can we still have the wider pipes externally without needing to do any work internally?

Thanks - hope I've understood and explained this correctly.

It's all down to pressure. The longer the pipe run the larger the bore to maintain the required pressure at the appliance(s).

If the new meter location is closer (in pipe length) to the boiler then the existing pipe size should be O.K.

If the meter is further away (in pipe length) then the pipe from meter to boiler MAY need to be larger.
A Gassafe reg engineer would need to calculate it.

Thanks. So I am correct in thinking that if the pipe did need to be bigger, it would have to increase the whole length from meter to boiler, not just meter to the point where it enters the house, and then narrow from there to the boiler?

Depends entirely on the length of the run and the load. You really need a competent gsr in to advise you.

Job 38.11.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Moving gas meter - new pipes to reconnect in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock