Search the forum,

Discuss Moving Cold Water Tank into the loft in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys,

Just moved into a house with a 3rd bedroom being a loft conversion on the top floor.

I currently have F&E system consisting of:

Boiler - Ground floor.

Heating/Hot water tank on 1st floor along with main bathroom.

Cold Water tank / Central Heating expansion on top floor.

There’s a loft above the bedroom on the top floor and I’m thinking of moving a cold water tank into the loft and making a bathroom for the top bedroom in place where the cold water tank is now.

I’ve extended the loft opening, so there’s a 53cm clearance now for the coffin type water tank to get through.

I am aware that water tank will require wall support, so there will be a wall directly below the water tank in the loft.

Will there be enough pressure for the top bathroom?

What are the constraints and rough cost involved in doing so?

no there wont be enough pressure sorry to say

only way is unvented cylinder if your system can cope with it

Thank you for replying Shaun, would installing a water pump in the top bathroom do the trick?

Depends on type of pump and there a tad noisy

Think everything is confused here you have to explain top floor as I assume you’re talking about first floor where hot tank is then second floor is cold tank but that’s also third bedroom so why not put that above and replace with bathroom don’t see an issue

Think everything is confused here you have to explain top floor as I assume you’re talking about first floor where hot tank is then second floor is cold tank but that’s also third bedroom so why not put that above and replace with bathroom don’t see an issue

Yes, that's absolutely correct.
Currently: 1st floor - hot water tank and a bathroom.
2nd floor - cold water tank and a bedroom.
Loft - empty.
I'm planning to move the cold water tank into the loft and make a bathroom out of the cupboard where the cold water tank currently is.

I would check pressures and flow and go unvented. Pumps are noisy and will need replacing down the road.
Unvented cylinder vs tanks, quality pump etc.

Missing the point, as it is I assume flow is ok so we’re talking about moving cold tank only to next floor and adding bathroom if pipe/tank sizing correct I don’t see an issue

I see where you’re going with this I think. You’re suggesting that as is you have adequate pressure/flow to bathroom and by going up one floor with bathroom and header tanks above you will maintain similar pressure/flow ie 2m head for example?
Personally as suggested I would go unvented if suitable, Mains pressure throughout and do away with tanks in loft

So unvented cylinder conversion seems is what majority of you guys advice here. What are the main prerequisites for this conversion and things I'll need to be aware of?

Unvented cylinder you need G3 qualification. Not certain you can't notify Building Control, then DIY and get the BCO to check it, but doubt you'd get the information to do it correctly, so looks to be a job for a professional.

Think #10 makes a good point, but bear in mind you are also adding the resistance to flow of another floor's height of pipework down the the cylinder and back up to the proposed bathroom, so your hot water flow in the proposed bathroom won't be quite as good as in the old one.

That said, if you're on mains cold and using an electric shower instead of a mixer and don't mind a relatively sedate hot water flow at the bath tap (a traditional washered tap, it'd have to be), you could go with your original plan. While it wouldn't be to modern standards, you might not be the type to care.

Just throwing this in as I'm aware that different people will have very different views on what is an acceptable flow. Once met someone (not in the course of my work) whose toilet took 10 minutes to an installation fault. Mentioned it to her (she owned the house and had lived there for years) and she said, yes, it is a bit slow...

Last edited:

Reply to Moving Cold Water Tank into the loft in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock