Search the forum,

Discuss Mouse jam in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dotty

This time of year furry wee buggers look for somewhere warm, fit plenty of traps and deterrents around and near your boiler or you'll have mouse jam and no heat!

Attachments

• IMAG0058.jpg
    IMAG0058.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 115
  • mouse jam.jpg
    mouse jam.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 118
Same burner, 2 different mice Mr D. This poor little old lady has had 3 in the last year.

Went and had a bacon buttie straight after, dripping with tomato sauce.

And me with mouse bits still under me fingernails lol!

Not the first time I've seen that. Like you say as it cools down they want somewhere warm.

I saw same burner on a 1 year old WB boiler making a bearing noise I thought, but it was totally shredded mouse making fan noise (only way of knowing it was a mouse was a couple bits of tail.)
The mice also pull the fibreglass insulation out of the boiler wrap & I see this blocking off the air intake on burner & boiler sooting up. Guess that is the advantage of balanced flues having piped air inlet.
Apart from trying to seal any places they can get in, it is a good idea not to have any bird seed, pet food, etc near that attracts them. One way to stop them getting into burner air intake is to get a fine fishing line & roll it up into a large ball & jam it over intake. Apparently they hate steel wool but this would be a fire hazard near boilers.

Last edited:
ive not seen that before, hat off too the little bugger for impressing me !

This little old lady has had 3 so far this year Shaun. But the first time I came across one a few year ago it was still fairly moist. It actually made me heave where I wasn't expecting it!

Every time I see this thread I picture Michael Jordan, Buggs Bunny and hear 'I believe I can fly' in my head :)

anybody ever eaten mouse ?
i watched a squirrel thump a bus and die about a month ago.
been wanting to try the road kill game for a while, so i stopped picked the nice warm squirrel up threw it into van.
came home youtubed how to skin it. (lucky not to vomit) gutted it (gipped a little bit) and slow cooked the thing for 4 hrs.
was as tough as old boots but tasted nice, so thought i'd give her an opportunity to shine and steamed the thing for another 4 hrs. same result.
threw her in oven overnight, really peaved with the b***h, next morning me thinking squirrel spread on my toast. oh no even tougher.
gave it to my dog and he loved it. played with her all day but couldnt eat the thing.
anyway i digress whats mouse taste like ?

nah!. theres not enough on a mouse to actually taste of anything, they are only a third in body to what you actually see!.

rat tastes like chicken slightly, had plenty of squirrel (roast that in foil) & pigeon ok but hardly worth the effort. what we shot we ate!!.

i never had road kill although the kids keep asking me for some to try and telling me to reverse and pick them up?. personally if its been hit then it bruises and taints the meat imo?.

I've a mate who's father was French. He says in France they even eat Fox, which tastes like total crap.

Badger Ham is apparently quite nice. My mate, has eaten plenty of squirel, and says its OK, he eats loads of game, rabbits, pigeon, hare.

Personally the only game I eat is venison or at a push a bit of pheasant. Who knew Bambi would be so tasty. Wouldn't eat road kill though!!

(We were discussing this subject in the pub last week) he pointed out that on the whole animals that are vegeterian are better eating, omnivores are ok and generally meat eating animals are gross.

Last edited:
New Brunswick stew is quite popular in parts of the USA

This little old lady has had 3 so far this year Shaun. But the first time I came across one a few year ago it was still fairly moist. It actually made me heave where I wasn't expecting it!

It's the smell if they've been around a while that has that effect.

Went to the identical burner on a 2yr old 70/90 WB std eff oil boiler in an out house in the country. Boiler shell was completely blocked with soot, despite the boiler being serviced fully & combustion set early in year. All that caused all this was the remains of a mouse, most of it blocking the air partially where it goes to the nose cone.
Was more shredded mouse than mouse jam!
Dont know how to prevent the mice getting into the burner & this is the second time on this boiler!

Last edited:
Went to the identical burner on a 2yr old 70/90 WB std eff oil boiler in an out house in the country. Boiler shell was completely blocked with soot, despite the boiler being serviced fully & combustion set early in year. All that caused all this was the remains of a mouse, most of it blocking the air partially where it goes to the nose cone.
Was more shredded mouse than mouse jam!
Dont know how to prevent the mice getting into the burner & this is the second time on this boiler!

A big mean old cat.

Joking aside, a metal mesh screen over the air intake would work.

Didnt see any cat about, lol! :smile: but there are a few dogs there, kept in other out houses. No sign of any food near oil boiler to attract mice, but guess they go to the heat.
Whpes, - a fine wire mesh might work but it is hard to cover that burners air opening properly & to add to the risk, mice seem to always pull the fibreglass out of the boiler wrap which will block that Inter burners air opening as it points backwards close to the wrap. I am wary of the people using too solid a grill to block the air opening & thus reduce the air to burner, putting the setting all out!

I've seen somewhere, and for the life of me I cant remember where, a wire metal mesh with 3/8" or 1/2" squares. if and when I remember where I saw it I'll post it up.

I assumed wire mesh with 3/8" or 1/2" squares is too big & would allow mice through it, so I checked the Internet. Apparently mice have soft skulls & flexible bodies so can get through a hole any wider than 6mm (1/4") & they can jump 18" high! So wire mesh would need very fine or folded a few times to make smaller holes.

Yes but it would make it less likely for them to bother to make the effort to get in.

This time of year furry wee buggers look for somewhere warm, fit plenty of traps and deterrents around and near your boiler or you'll have mouse jam and no heat!
You may have got his wrong. After condensing boilers lowered the temperatures in the boiler to a suitable level the mouse driven fan seems to be the next step. Surely as soon as you were out the door the lady might have put in a replacement mouse.
Just she seems to have got cheap chinese mice that do not last very long and have to be replaced frequently but came at a good price.

You may have got his wrong. After condensing boilers lowered the temperatures in the boiler to a suitable level the mouse driven fan seems to be the next step. Surely as soon as you were out the door the lady might have put in a replacement mouse.
Just she seems to have got cheap chinese mice that do not last very long and have to be replaced frequently but came at a good price.

LOL - Brilliant!

Heston Blooming-thing did roast mouse for a celebrity Christmas dinner a couple of years ago - apparently in Roman times they were a delicacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mouse jam in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock