Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Motorised Valve setting manually in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

If it’s slack either the motor has pinged or its getting constant power

• Like Like x 1
  2. Stants

Stants Member

thanks ……
    hi …… im thinking there,s a few issues wrong as I mentioned its very old and im changing it soonish ie re siting the boiler , unvented system etc … im getting hot water from the immersion do you think its a problem using that for a month or so ? until I upgrade

3. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Your only problem with the immersion is cost

4. Stants

Stants Member

I may have to suffer that im not sure its worth trying to repair the Old system ..its too old ...thanks

5. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber Top Contributor!!

So it's in Central Heating mode it seems. I.e. 'permanently powered'.

Turn the system off at the isolator. Turn your mains switch at your fusebox off if in doubt. The 3PV should now revert to Hot Water mode and you should feel firm spring pressure against the lever.

If not, then it isn't working. On most valves, you can take the actuator head off without draining and put the spindle into the half way between the two extremes position to allow both CH and HW at the same time, but you'll lose temperature control of the system. Still, if you want to run it under manual control, this might be the very thing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stants

Stants Member

Hi I turned it off like you said and the lever is ok now ie it returns it has resistance... is that al I need to do ?

7. Stants

Stants Member

Just turned it back on again and lever has gone slack again

8. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber Top Contributor!!

Sounds like the valve is working correctly but being told by the system to stick to central heating only mode - except that you say you have hot water! Without testing what signals it is receiving (i.e. which wires are powered up) it is hard to be certain though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Stants

Stants Member

It does look like the valve has gone ( there may be other issues to ) so when you take the actuator off ( silver box ) what do you set it too ? And would it be ok to use it in this mode ( safe ) for about 6 weeks ?

10. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber Top Contributor!!

It sounds like you have established that the valve is working or at least there is a route for circulation. As you have stated that the boiler starts making noises associated with no circulation when turned on we have to look at what else could cause this, the pump has been mentioned but you seem to think it is OK so next I would check for lack of water in the system I have had a couple over the years where the float valve in the F&E cistern gets stuck & water is lost from the system to a point where it affects circulation.
    Please check that the system is full of water.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. chris watkins

First thing is to check on the silver box is that there is a raised dimple in the metal, if it is not there DO NOT try to remove it.
    If it has then there 2 screw under the cover to take it off.
    The spider can only move a small distance side to side you simple move it to the middle of its travel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Stants

Stants Member

Thanks

13. chris watkins

spindle not spider

• Like Like x 1