Search the forum,

Discuss Moment Of Clarity Required In The Search For A Gas Course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Makaveli

I am a painter & decorator with no previous plumbing experience and through the ever deteriorating situation within my trade have decided to move on and do a gas course and eventually become a gas engineer. So about a week ago i took sum time off and decided to find myself the right course and the right place to study it. To my astonishment I was overwhelmed by the mass of various courses, colleges, private study and prices available. Everyday I would spend hours scanning through so many courses ringing up for advice and just getting no where. I feel like i have finally come up with some conclusions that I would like to run by you as well as ask sum additional questions. Im sooooo glad to have finally found sum unbiased people I can speak to. So here it goes:

1) My 1st problem was deciding what course and accreditation to go for. There seemed to be 3 possibilities that would come up with different lengths and prices to go with, they were:

1 - Start with a NVQ2 Plumbing course, learning the basics for a year after moving onto level 3 Gas for a year and another year of work placement. Totaling to 3 year course for around £7-8000.*

2 - Do a Technical Certificate (C&G 6132) Level 2 for 48 weeks, 1 day a week along with NVQ Level 2 (C&G 6012) work placement in conjunction with the TC, preferably 4 days a week. This course is *15 months long for around £3700

3 - Do a Bpec course ranging from 20-30 days over 1 day a week with 15-20 week work placement, costing around £4000

For me I was never looking for a quick fix as this is sumthing that I will be taking seriously and want to learn the best I can. For this reason a Bpec i feel was not the right course. Most of the time its less than 1/2 the time of the C&G/NVQ and just feels like alot would be missing from it. I do appreciate that prior plumbing knowledge would be best an the 1st option the best but I am 29 now and just dont want to study for 3 years. Im also lucky enough to have a fully qualified Gas Safe Engineer as a cousin who has agreed to take me on and show me all he knows thus I feel i can do the 2nd option, gain sum plumbing experience thru him as well as all that follows.*

So after all my findings im here to ask you how u feel and your thoughts on:*

1. My option 2 course above, where I will be studying the C&G/NVQ TC for a year and abit along with being an apprentice to my cousin for the same duration eventually leading to the ACS test after. I am also very aware trade work is about doing and certificates only have so much weight so I will be working with my cousin for another year after the ACS gaining as much experience as possible. Totalin around 2-3 years.

2. What are your view on the West London Training Centre in Aldershot? Here is a link to the college and course:
[DLMURL="http://www.wlt-group.com/page.php?a=1&s=48"]Certificate in Domestic Natural Gas C&G 6132 | West London Training Courses: NVQ Level, Apprenticeships & Assessments: Gas Training[/DLMURL]

3. After 3 years of studying and working throught this route do u think I would be employable to the larger more established firms such as British Gas, EON etc.

Thanks alot in advance for any advice you may have and hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
if i was you :
1-go out with cousin and see if you like the trade
2-get your self on the job and learn some
3-do not try to do gas when you do not know the basic
4-you like it you love it go to college and take it from there

If you have a cousin to take you on go though the collage route level 3 etc
It will be better for you in the long run

SafeGas, Iv already worked as a tradesman and know what is expected and do enjoy the work so that isnt really and issue, Iv definitely made my decision this is what i want.

Franky so are you saying it would be a better rout to do the Level 2 Plumbing Course and then the Level 3 Plumbing Course, which the kinda turns in to gas.

I just wonder how good the Level 3 Plumbing Course is in comparison to the Level 2 Gas Course. There is an option to do a 8 Week Intensive Level 2 Plumbing Course where after I could go onto the Level 2 Gas Course as it would be more focused on the gas modules.

Am just wondering tho that I would be able to learn all the basic plumbing aspects with my cousin while working with him as he is a qualified plumber too.*

Does nobody here have any opinions on the West London Learning Centre or the route of taking a Intensive Level 2 Plumbing Course and then moving onto a Level 2 Gas Course, instead of moving onto the Level 3 Plumbing?

I know many people have posted kind of similar posts mostly people who have done no research inquiring about OLCI, the post below me of a guy wondering if he does a 20 week course and 15 week work experience makes him a gas engineer got nearly 20 replies, does nobody have any advice for sumone whos taken alot of time to try and find the right course?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

You can now go for Guild ofGas Fitters course. It's quite newish designed for cat. 3 wanting to do gas work. You are category 3. There may be other ways but I'm confused as I hear conflicting news all the time. It won't really teach you about plumbing though.

you are going to end up half cooked here.
dont bother is my opinion.

go and work for your cousin for a year or two then take the acs as cat 2 applicant.
as for the plumbing quals, you dont need them.
its nowing how to do the job, what it is your doing and why.
but thats just another option, cheaper though.

Im a painter and decorator gray. I checked out the Gas Fitters Course Kimou but doesnt seem that great of a course, bit like the Bpec. I do think the NVQ2 Gas Engineer Course is prob the best. I hear what your saying Redsaw and think it will be quite easy for me to do the NVQ2 1 day a week for 48 weeks and work with my cousin for 4 days a week.*

Was just a lil confused cause alot of people were tellin me that it would be beneficial to learn the basic plumbing course but i think I can prob get all that experience from my cousin.*

I agree don't waste your money on this course work with your cousin if you like it and can pick it up go to a proper collage

Guild of Gas Fitters was introduced recently. It was the first of its kind. People without NVQ2 status can do this and then be accepted into the assessment process. People who are NVQ2 and are shaky on gas due to inexperience it is worth doing to help get the 100% pass.
You have to do 80 hours with GSR eng to sign you off. I believe my old teacher is the guy or at least one of the few who implemented it a couple years ago.
Find a good college and talk to the teachers there. Loads of ex-students still keep in touch and take the boys/girls out with them for experience. It's communal really. I know when I'm able, I'll be doing the same. Give something back if you enjoyed your time there.

Hi Makaveli,

Alana here from OLCI Construction Training.
I can see that you are considering different Gas course options. OLCI is offering different routes to becoming a Gas Safe Register gas engineer, depending on your previous experience and qualifications. I would like to discuss this with you. Please could you call us on 0800 316 8100. Alternatively you can email me on [email protected] with your name, contact number and that you are responding to this comment.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Alana Fox

I dont think so alana thanks for the offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Moment Of Clarity Required In The Search For A Gas Course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock