Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Mixing Hot and Cold Water; also a Sink Bypass in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at

  1. MHL

    MHL New Member

    Hello, I'm an American working in the UK for about another two years and I've moved into a rental property. There are a few quality of life upgrades I'd like to make but as it is a rental I'm not trying to spend a lot of money. Hopefully some experts or more experience individuals can point me in the right direction.

    One other note: When I do find out how to tackle these jobs, where do I buy the materials? In the States I'd go to Home Depot or Lowes and they would have everything I need but between ASDA, B&Q and several other places I have found anything close to what I need.

    Job 1: Kitchen Tap
    I want to get the hot water (inner pipe) to mix with the cold water (outer pipe) instead of a central stream of hot water with a trickle of cold coming form the bottom of the outer pipe. See picture.
    I tried several stores but couldn't find any kind of cap that would mix the water into a spray rather than jet. What do I need to do with this? Tap is about 1.5 - 2.0 cm in diameter.

    Job 2: Bathroom Tap #1
    I want to mix the left (hot) with the right (cold) so that I don't have 2 separate streams that are both extremes of hot and cold. Similar to the kitchen tap.

    Job 3: Bathroom Tap #2
    I think I'm reaching with this one, but is there any work around to merge these two taps to get hot and cold coming out of one tap without replacing the existing taps? Doesn't have to look good at all, I just won't use the taps otherwise really.

    Job 4: Bathroom Tap #3
    Same as above pretty much. Again, I know these two are a bit of a stretch.

    Job 5: Kitchen Sink Overflow Bypass (or something)
    So the tube is missing. I stuffed a paper towel in it to keep it from spilling out should the hydro static head get too high as a very short term, emergency fix. All I want to do is get a rubber tube and some ring style pipe claps and put it on there but I don't think it'll work that well because of the existing tubing. Any ideas what I should really do here?

    Thanks for any help.
  2. ShaunCorbs

    ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

  3. steadyon

    steadyon Active Member

    With respect to where to buy parts:

    1. Screwfix or Toolstation are fairly reasonable in terms of coverage for most plumbing and electrical items, I'd say upper end Do It Yourself to mid range professional. Both internet based but with a good number of local depots.
    2. Asda is really a supermarket. Like Tesco, Morrisons, Waitrose, predominantly food with some household goods, but not really do it yourself.
    3. If you can, find a local plumbers' merchant for plumbing stuff. Not too difficult in the suburbs, but very thin on the ground in central London.

    Anyway, welcome to London, and its nice to see a well set out, logical posting.
    • Agree Agree x 1
Similar Threads - Mixing Cold Water Forum Date
NEW WATTS Aquamix Thermostatic mixing valves 62c 1" & 61c 3/4" Plumbing Forum Nov 23, 2018
Central heating pump does not start at first when cold / rested Central Heating Forum Today at 10:06 AM