Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Mixer Shower Replacement in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. namron11

namron11 New Member

Existing mixer shower replacement, hot water is currently fed from hot water cistern on 1st floor between floor and ground floor ceiling and then up to the shower valve. Cold water is fed from tank in loft across the ceiling and down to existing shower valve. Low pressure system so wish to replace shower valve with a Mira valve. Spoke to Mira and they advise that the require bot hot and cold feeds to be fed up to the valve or down to the valve, but they could not explain why they specify this requirement. If I keep the feeds as they are will it have any negative effect on the performance of the Mira Shower, we are looking for improved performance over existing mixer shower?

2. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I am always very sceptical about what manufacturers “help lines” tell you but in order to maintain any form of warranty or similar you need to install to the manufacturers instructions. I really don’t find these days that any gravity fed showers will offer anything like an invigorating shower that will wake you up in the morning personally speaking if you don’t have any other option I would look at fitting a suitable pump

• Like Like x 1
  3. namron11

namron11 New Member

Many thanks for your reply. We have resigned to have not a great shower but hopefully a improved shower, fitting a pump in the Hot press is impossible and I am reluctant to fit a pump in the attic.
    My assumption that they asked for both hot and cold pipes to come from the same direction so that the pressures of hot and cold may be more equal pressure, is that possibly the reason? We are in a fairly new build with the usual chipboard floors so to re-route one of the pipes is a lot of work if there is not much gain in the end result

4. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Could I ask why it’s impossible to fit a pump? Also I suspect you are right about the balanced flows and pressure

5. namron11

namron11 New Member

There isn't space in the Hot Water cylinder cupboard, it is within an inch of the wall on one side and the other side is filled with the central heating connections. I don't want to have a pump in the attic. If the Mira showers provide the improvement over other manufacturer showers that Mira claim, then we will be satisfied. My query is to try and understand whether is is worthwhile routing the hot water feed via the attic so that the 2 feeds are coming in the same direction as Mira have specified. Is there a simple way to check the existing hot and cold water feeds before I have the hot water plumbing changed?
    I did not get any explanation from Mira other than their support said "that is what we asked for" which does not explain a lot

6. Allgoode

Allgoode GSR

• Like Like x 1
  7. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Nice shower mate and the pump is built in.