Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Missing one trap or two? in the Fittings & Pipes area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Scotjam

Scotjam New Member

Hi,

My first post here.

So builder has finished his work but I think a trap is missing from the wash basin and the washing machine waste. Which explains the smells that come every now and then.

I'm thinking I could add an inline osma siphon to each or one shared between the two. Or an s trap shared.

I've attached a photo. From the right side the pipe coming in is from the wash basin which has no trap.

Any pointers? Or best to call a plumber.

plumb.jpg

2. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Can you take a picture of the other side of the wall please, and builder you say??:p:p

3. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Get the builder to get a plumber and tell him to stop messing around with plumbing

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  4. andyplumber

andyplumber Plumber GSR

As above we could do with a picture of the other side but if it was me I would repipe and fit a washing machine trap and anti vac trap on the basin

5. Scotjam

Scotjam New Member

It's just the wash basin with nothing under it. I could take a better picture tomorrow, this is what I've got on my phone at the mo.

Cheers all and a happy new year when it comes

plumbtwo.jpg

6. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber Top Contributor!!

You can do lots of things, but simple answer is what Shaun said. Osma waterless traps (i.e. HepvOs) really are very good for solving problems, but are noisy and will, I expect, eventually wear out. I've nothing against builders doing small bits of plumbing work, but your builder has not the basic knowledge of even a DIY manual/Google search. If he really can't be bothered even to do that level of research, he really should get a plumber in, and I don't say this very often.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Harvest Fields

Just alter the pipe slightly and fit a washing machine stand pipe.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Scotjam

Scotjam New Member

Oops. I now realise that shiny thing under the basin is a trap. Doh! So I've added the s trap on to the other side so I can add a washing machine waste pipe and I think that's it!

plumb3.jpg

9. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

You will need a stand pipe (going to roughly the same height as before)

Also the pipe looks like 11/4 (32mm) ???

10. Harvest Fields

Again I say, builder Aaaaaa.:p:p:p

11. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber Top Contributor!!

...because a sink and washing machine need 1 1/2" waste pipework. Anything less is below industry standard and will probably cause trouble.

• Like Like x 1