Search the forum,

Discuss Minimum depth of water pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

M

MrsP

I’ve got a question about pipe depth. My old incoming water pipe is leaking but is below the neighbour’s subsequent big drainage pipe running across it and is hard to access, on a narrow pedestrian lane in a conservation area. (The experienced plumbers I got in dug down so far then backed away and said it would require machinery.) I'm wondering if a solution might be to lay modern piping above the drainage pipe at less than the specified depth with some sort of insulation against frost - is this ever done, does anyone know? Thanks!

Thanks - but various water boards online say “If you can’t do this, contact us” so it seems it’s not always possible. I’m trying to find out if there’s another way of sorting it. Thanks for any ideas - the alternative seems to be I let the water keep running (outside my water meter thank goodness) or if it gets really bad, turn the water off at the pavement stoptap (it only supplies me) and don't have water.

Thanks Riley - it's a footpath, too narrow for a vehicle except a bike so that wouldn't be such a worry.

Well traffic isn’t always cars etc. It can be livestock, a small tractor with a hedge trimmer on that sort of thing

You also have to think about freezing if it’s not deep enough

Yes, I thought about freezing and I wondered if there some special insulation they used in those cases (it's only a short stretch before it can go deep underground again, just enough to get over the waste pipe). I've never seen anything heavier than a bike go down the lane and it wouldn't be used for livestock any more. I take your point I wouldn't want it breaking though and there's always a first time.

It’s more a case of potential issues you could experience or even fines should your mains burst and cause water wastage or contamination back to the main supply

If I were you I would phone your local water board and get their opinion on it

If you approach it pragmatically and don’t tell them how to do their job then they are usually pretty flexible in terms of working through a problem with customers

Yes, I thought about freezing and I wondered if there some special insulation they used in those cases (it's only a short stretch before it can go deep underground again, just enough to get over the waste pipe). I've never seen anything heavier than a bike go down the lane and it wouldn't be used for livestock any more. I take your point I wouldn't want it breaking though and there's always a first time.
Insulation will not prevent freezing. In some circumstances it can delay it but I wouldn't rely on that. Why can it not be run beneath the drain? Is it purely because the people digging it gave up? There are a lot of weak willed, not very determined types about these days you know!! Maybe you need some one with a bit more 'go'?

The water board sent someone out who said it wasn’t their problem - I might have to try them again. Meanwhile I’m asking around locally for someone who doesn’t mind digging very deep holes manually if that’s going to be the only option! I was hoping there might be an easier solution. Thanks for the advice.

It’s not their problem but they should be able to advise you in terms of water regs how you might navigate the problem as they have eyes on it

Thanks, yes, will contact them again and explain the difficulty.
From my experience, they will only repeat their-selves. Find a person who is not frightened of hard work and you will end up with the right job and never suffer from a lack of water in winter.

Also, the depth is to avoid the risk of the pipe warming to unhygienic temperatures in summer, and risk of contamination through the plastic pipe walls (which is the advantage of copper: it pretty much won't let ANYTHING through).

The water board will probably insist on 750mm minimum and you can sometimes mole a pipe without having to do too much digging, so really you have no reason to make the pipe shallower. The model water bylaws of 1950 wanted 2'6", so this sort of depth has been required for a long time.

The Water Regulations 1999 state that a water main laid less than 750mm or more than 1350mm deep has to be notified to the local Water Undertaker it does not say it can't be done.
Pipes can be insulated to provide the required protection, indeed every service pipe that enters a building at some point is less than 750mm deep.
There are proprietary systems available which allow water mains to exit the ground outside the building foundations just as you would with a gas or electrical service & then enter above ground level.

MrsP find yourself an Approved Plumber (ask your local Water UnderTaker for a list) They will guide you through giving notice & what will likely be required. It takes 10 working day's . If they don't respond either to grant or grant with conditions then it is deemed to be granted & the plumbers can proceed.

I would get someone in to mole it....like mentioned above. Saves digging/backfilling and alot of cementing back in. That is of course if you plan on replacing a big section of your.main.

MrsP find yourself an Approved Plumber (ask your local Water UnderTaker for a list) They will guide you through giving notice & what will likely be required. It takes 10 working day's . If they don't respond either to grant or grant with conditions then it is deemed to be granted & the plumbers can proceed.
True, but I think they can still ask you to do it again, only thing is you can't be held responsible for not informing them. If so, it's a crazy situation, but hey ho.

FWIW, a plumber I know hit solid slate a little before 750mm, asked Dwr Cymru for permission to lay the pipe more shallow, and was refused permission.

Personally I wouldn’t have the pipe moled unless you know where all your other services are. We had a new water main laid into our property, and ended up opting for it being dug in.

All the companies that moled the pipes said that if they hit someone whilst doing it, they weren’t liable, unless you gave them plans of where the services lay in the first place.

The view from here is that quite honestly nobody really will know if you relay the mains plastic above below or by the side of the whatever, I am all for regulations god knows my company jump,thro hoops with wras etc. If it’s was my job just get on with it In the best most economical way and just bury it and move on

Reply to Minimum depth of water pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock