Search the forum,

Discuss Meter purge times calculation help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there,
I am writing a free app which will give a guide as to the purge time required for a commercial gas meter.

So I have determined the installation volume and the total purge volume but I'm looking on how to determine the purge time.

From what I understand, I need to take the largest pipe diameter, get the natural gas flow rate and do a few calculations base on that - does anyone know where I can get tables for pipe diameters and natural gas flow rates?

Also if someone has any alternatives or can point me in the right direction then I will send them the app when its completed.

Thanks in advance

What kind of work are you in eg what's your job ?

Hi there,
I am writing a free app which will give a guide as to the purge time required for a commercial gas meter.

So I have determined the installation volume and the total purge volume but I'm looking on how to determine the purge time.

From what I understand, I need to take the largest pipe diameter, get the natural gas flow rate and do a few calculations base on that - does anyone know where I can get tables for pipe diameters and natural gas flow rates?

Also if someone has any alternatives or can point me in the right direction then I will send them the app when its completed.

Thanks in advance
Have you done any research into how many might use the App?

I know I may be old fashioned but I like to do my own calculations for everything so I know how I arrived at the figures, particularly with something important that is best done once.

I am curious as to whether anyone would rely on App technology for this?

And you're planning to do this without any relevant knowledge or qualifications?

I'll get the popcorn and Coke, this is going to be interesting to watch...
So the question I pose to you is that if it can be done with paper and pencil - why couldn’t it be done digitally. At least it would not introduce any human calculation errors.

Not saying paper and pencil isn’t good. Just think I could make the difficult maths easier to work with.

Any help available then?

I just use pen a paper if they want it printing / onsite I use up1 calc

Have a look at up1 and up1a

So the question I pose to you is that if it can be done with paper and pencil - why couldn’t it be done digitally.

The point here is that *you* don't know how to do the calculation(s) involved and therefore *you* are not in a position to devise a digital method of doing it.

Only an idiot would use a free app from an unqualified no-name developer to plan a safety-critical procedure. The guys I know who do commercial gas are a mixed bunch but not one of them is an idiot, or anywhere close.

The point here is that *you* don't know how to do the calculation(s) involved and therefore *you* are not in a position to devise a digital method of doing it.

Only an idiot would use a free app from an unqualified no-name developer to plan a safety-critical procedure. The guys I know who do commercial gas are a mixed bunch but not one of them is an idiot, or anywhere close.
Harsh. Very harsh.

I agree I don’t know the specific calculations but that’s why I’m reaching out for help. Just because I don’t know exactly how to do something doesn’t mean I can’t learn. I do not intend releasing anything that is untested and that doesn’t generate the same results and handwritten method.

So if I was to ask you calculate the angle on a right handed triangle would you respond and say I needed to be a mathematician or would you inform my about Pythagoras? Everyone can learn.

The best thing you can do is employ a commercial gas safe engy to go through the calcs with you and help you to design an app figures side

So if I was to ask you calculate the angle on a right handed triangle would you respond and say I needed to be a mathematician or would you inform my about Pythagoras? Everyone can learn.

Bad analagy.

No, because Pythagoras is taught at schools.

A better one would be asking someone who's never Parachuted to calculate the lowest height to pull the cord.

In both the Gas meter and Parachute cases, if the calculation is wrong someone could die.

Why not approach the IGEM they may be able to provide the information you require.

If fact if you worked with IGEM people might take the App seriously and trust it.
IGEM however will want to make money from it, they are the ones that publish UP1 Up1a etc as recommended above and thier publications aren't cheap.

So if I was to ask you calculate the angle on a right handed triangle would you respond and say I needed to be a mathematician or would you inform my about Pythagoras?
Neither. I'd tell you that the Pythoras theorem concerns the lengths of sides, not angles, and that the sum of the angles of a triangle add up to 180°. Hence, knowing two angles you can calculate the third by subtracting their sum from 180°.
Everyone can learn.
Full marks for trying.

Last edited:
38 that's too cheap you sure that wasn't the report pad normally around the 150 mark ?

Neither. I'd tell you that the Pythoras theorem concerns the lengths of sides, not angles, and that the sum of the angles of a triangle add up to 90°. Hence, knowing two angles you can calculate the third by subtracting their sum from 90°.

Full marks for trying.
The sum of angles of a triangle don’t add up to 90 degrees - is it not 180 for. Right angles triangle or . Perhaps paper and pencil aren’t such a good idea.

Troll city in this forum.

The sum of angles of a triangle don’t add up to 90 degrees - is it not 180 for. Right angles triangle or . Perhaps paper and pencil aren’t such a good idea.

Troll city in this forum.

Nope just not willing to give what you require out for free when we all have to have training and experience these arnt free you know

So the question I pose to you is that if it can be done with paper and pencil - why couldn’t it be done digitally. At least it would not introduce any human calculation errors.

Not saying paper and pencil isn’t good. Just think I could make the difficult maths easier to work with.

Any help available then?
What about answering the questions posted before the post above mate?

Reply to Meter purge times calculation help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock