Search the forum,

Discuss Metabo or makita Core Drill in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gallstone

Hi, about to invest in a core drill, windled it down to 2 options

Metabo BDE1100 comes with holdall bag and 5 core drill set in case, with 3 year warranty £340

Metabo Bde 1100 Core Drill 240v With 5pc Core Kit & Work Bag

other is

Makita 8406 £240, no core bits, only 1 year warranty

Makita 8406 - 13mm Rotary Percussion & Diamond Core Drill | Diamond Core Drills | Powertools2u

would have to buy the core bits seperate but not much difference in price

thanks

dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Makita Core drill, it was the dogs balls. Brilliant bit of kit. Some git nicked it back in January. It was a big thing I know that.

I had to core cut a 100mm hole with my SDS on Thursday and I was cursing that thief every minute as the clutch kept slipping.

I can also vouch for Metabo stuff as I own a cordless drill driver, and I haven't managed to kill the thing yet, despite years of abuse. I stopped using it in Jan when I bought new tools to replace all the stuff that was nicked, I just thought sod it, I'll buy a new cordless drill. I bought top range Makita and it's ****e! All in all I've been no help have I!?

being a carpenter i can vouch for both after haveing both in some form or other and would stick to a brand to stand any chance of getting spares hope this helps plus if u wanna sell it when u up grade you will allways sell a brand rather than a unheard of make

I have had a few of the Makita ones , I find them OK but always feel they are a bit underpowered or that the clutch is set too light . A bit of damp in the brickwork and its jamming (dry coring )
I am going to try the Marcrist next

This is the best core drill you can buy for the money

DDM2 - 7700.001.001:MARCRIST-MARCRIST 7700.001.001 DDM2 Diamond Core Drilling Machine240V* 1500W

The 110v kit with the core bit set is great value as the core bit set usually sells for around £250 on its own.
Btw. Not all core bits are the same
If I was doing installs I would be looking at tamz recommendation. It is designed solely for core drilling. Never used one myself so only advising by it's reputation.
Give it a thought.

got mine today :) well impressed got the ddm2 with the kit cc850

Good choice Moony. Wait till you give it some serious work you will be even more impressed;) and the 850 cores are the best i've used (even Hiltis)

It is a beast of a machine and you get used to the weight of it.

oh its a big lad tamz - i only have to get it out of the box to realise it means business havent ried it out yet - but got a 18 inch cottage wall to drill through next week so i'll give it a go then. yeah the bits are supposed to be there top of the range - i have used them before but only for inch and a half - the 4 inch sets you back 150 quid on its own! - but ive now got an exclussive set of them so will be using them from now on.

DDM2 - 7700.001.001:MARCRIST-MARCRIST 7700.001.001 DDM2 Diamond Core Drilling Machine240V* 1500W

Is this really a good one tamz I am thinking of getting a new one as the one I got keeps jamming and nearly killing me

After you try this machine you will realise just how poor the others are. The DDM3 is better but another £200 or so dearer.
Put it on speed 2 for up to 5" cores.

It is as close to the professional machines as you will get without spending over a grand and will pay for itself in saved time.
Even has a 5 year guarantee.

sounds like its a quality machine i will probably buy it i just hope its as good as you are saying :)

I would never recommend something that wasn't up to scratch.
I've had one of these machines for about 2 years. It was recommended by the guy who lives next door to me who has a diamond drilling company (G&I diamond drilling, look them up on google). Think he was fed up sending guys to do holes for me for below cost:eek:

Through the years i have bought all the usual suspects with all their limitations and this is the only machine i have been happy with. It just does what it says on the tin. A dedicated core drilling machine. There is no chuck supplied, just a direct fit 1/2" or 1 1/14" (like hilti) thread for the cores.
I do at least 2 installs a week in all types of properties from 3 bed semi's to Edinburgh new town houses (30" through craigleith stone, look that one up too) and it is a dream to use.
If you do buy it you will not be disapointed.

I think i should get a job as a sales rep! The money is sh..e though:D

thanks for info I will buy one then if you are saying they are that good

so, for the price or overall these are better than the b&b dewalt at £600?

the adverts confusing as they are diferent prices with or without the cores.

what about the sparky in skrufix at £180?

Redsaw

I don't know how good the £600 Dewalt is as i have never seen one. It may be good enough but how many professional diamond drillers would use one? Also it won't take 1 1/4" threaded cores.

I know the Marcrist and it was recommended to me by a diamond driller as the best hand held for the money. It is a similar machine to the ones they use (can't remember the make but i'll find out).

I paid around £420 for my one 2 years ago complete with 117 and 48mm 850 cores. The link i posted above was the cheapest i could find and the 110v kit with the core set is brilliant value.

sparky in screw fix is the worst corer you will ever usen if you got half a brain do not buy

3/4 of a brain get the dewalt haha

used it today (ddm2) its a dream - quite heavy compared to my old one but seemed more comfortable - the 850 bits seem loads better to what i was using before too

if this core drill doesnt have a chuck does it still get stuck and try to spin and **** your wrist up

Interesting read. I have been using the Bosch GSB 21-2 RE 1100W for a few months and it just isn't up to job when core drilling. The clutch kicks in constantly. Took best part of a hour to go through a double brick wall the other day which was the final straw. So for the drill and core kit recommended here your looking at £470? is that what you paid moony/tamz?

I paid around £420 but put a link earlier to a better deal complete with 850 dry cores.

Some facing brick are as hard to get through with a core as granite. That is why you need good core bits too. Cores are definately not all the same.
A few times i've been stood hanging on to a core drill doing facing brick and thinking " i could be through this with 6 hits with the hammer":)

Being honest my core set probably isnt the best either. Sure i only paid £70 odd for it. Looking at what your saying tamz it's probably a combination of wrong drill and wrong cores for the job but they were the best i could afford at the time. Things are a little brighter on the work front now so i can maybe move up the ladder a bit on the core/drill front and make the job a tad easier.

Just used my new Marcrist DDM1 and PC850 cores, they're rather brilliant - 1 course of breeze took 15 secs, a course of engineering brick took about 75 secs. It wasn't out of its box more than 5 mins. Highly recommended. Used to use Bosch 4kg SDS hammer stop & Edge diamond cores, they took ages - Not anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Metabo or makita Core Drill in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock