Search the forum,

Discuss Megaflo temperature/pressure valve won't open in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Good morning! I have a dripping tundish, so decided it's time to replenish the air gap in my Megaflo - something I've done from time to time in the past. So I've turned off the water, opened a hot tap, and then tried to open the pressure relief valve on the Megaflo. But it's stuck: the plastic cap is clicking round when I turn it anticlockwise, so I presume the metal bits have seized up. Is there a way to remove the cap and use grips to turn the valve, or is that unwise?

The valve has a sort of ratchet mechanism so if you twist the cap it you should experience increasing resistance for about 1/6th (approx, from memory) of a turn as it lifts the seal and if you go too far it will suddenly clunk shut.

Anyway, it's a safety critical part so you must not attempt a DIY repair. Contact Heatrae Sadia customer support:

Who will assist you with getting the valve serviced/replaced by a properly trained and qualified technician. Megaflos have quite decent warranties on them so you might be covered.

Last edited:
I think PRVs are designed to be shut all the time, I think Megaflo actually say to keep it opened, a bit of a pain if you have to wait for 50/60 litres to drain out the hot tap but I find with the PRV on my firebird which I use to vent air after a refill will stay open if I turn it very slowly anticlockwise.

Thank you for the replies: the issue is that it isn't opening the valve when I turn it anticlockwise. It's very stiff and as it turns the plastic cap rises off the seat and then clicks without opening the valve. I can keep turning it, with difficulty, and it just rises a bit and clicks, but no valve opens. So I'm guessing the metal parts of the valve have seized and may need some encouragement.

Megaflo1.jpg

If you turn it with the mains left opened, do you get it flowing into the tundish?
Also, If its still dribbling under normal conditions with the mains left opened and
after running off 4/5 litres of HW then it requires renewal.

OK - my mistake was in the setup. I turned off the cold water and then opened the nearest tap (in the nearby bathroom), according to the Megaflo instructions. Nothing came out, and then when I turned the red valve nothing happened - not a peep - so I assumed the valve was stuck, and posted my question. Then, as suggested by @John.g with the water back on I tried the valve again - this time whooshing, so the valve is OK. So I repeated the process but opened a downstairs hot tap and let it drain for a while, and this time the procedure went as expected.
Sorry for the false alarm - not sure why there was a problem this time and not in times before, but there we are. Thank you to @John.g and @Chuck for your input.

To fully recharge, the lowest hot tap should be left open until all the water has drained, this will only happen if the T&PRV is held open to allow air into the cylinder, its not draining the whole cylinder, only the volume above the dip/drop tube, so ~ 50 liters or so.

Reply to Megaflo temperature/pressure valve won't open in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock