Search the forum,

Discuss Megaflo Air Bubble not taking expansion in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed today that the pressure gauge on my incoming water supply was showing over 5 bar and creeping up fairly rapidly until it went past 6 (that's the max it goes to) and continued. The Megaflo pressure reducing valve should be 3 bar, and this is normally what the gauge shows. The only thing that was heating at the time was my Megaflo cylinder. It got to about 7 bar and then stopped. There was no water dripping from the tundish on the TPRV. However, did notice the tundish on the pressure relief valve (8 bar I believe) was passing water.

This said to me the air bubble is depleted, so recharged it as per the instructions, and it stopped all it's gurgling noises and dripping from the hot tap after about 2 hours (!). Then turned on the heating to the HW again. After 10 mins or so, came back and the pressure gauge is showing 4 bar. So much better, but still creeping up - slowly this time. It got to about 5.5 bar before the HW zone valve closed.

This implies to me the air bubble is not taking the full expansion of the hot water. I would guess that most people don't realise as the PRV passes water and all is well. I happened to have a pressure gauge fitted at some point, but most wouldn't.

But is this normal? I'd have expected the air bubble to take the full expansion? Should I look to have an external potable expansion vessel fitted at some point, as recharging the air bubble every year or so is quite annoying.

TLDR - Is the Megaflo air bubble not sufficient to take the full expansion of hot water?

Sounds like it is nothing whatsoever to do with the air bubble, although it can also be failing.
You can't do any work yourself on unvented cylinders, except on a Megaflo type unit to get the air in the bubble.
You need a G3 qualified plumber to service and repair the unit. They can also recommend any future modifications (if needed) that would still be acceptable to the unit manufacturers.
Unvented units require a service once a year.

Last edited:
As the megaflo is on the ground floor, opening the lowest tap as per the instructions was not regenerating the air bubble. Solution was to drain the cylinder sufficiently to allow air into the cylinder.

All sorted now and pressure does not increase and PRV does not open. Hopefully this will be useful to somebody else.

Will definitely have an expansion vessel added at the next service, as this air bubble malarkey is damn right annoying.

As the megaflo is on the ground floor, opening the lowest tap as per the instructions was not regenerating the air bubble. Solution was to drain the cylinder sufficiently to allow air into the cylinder.

All sorted now and pressure does not increase and PRV does not open. Hopefully this will be useful to somebody else.

Will definitely have an expansion vessel added at the next service, as this air bubble malarkey is damn right annoying.

Opening a hot tap will not drain the unit as the hot draw off comes from top of unit. Needs the water drawn from bottom of unit, as you later did, to get air into the top.
Just note that an expansion vessel added to the unit will still require that expansion vessel to be checked and serviced once a year for a suitable air charge.
Nothing is totally maintainence free unfortunately

Opening a hot tap will not drain the unit as the hot draw off comes from top of unit. Needs the water drawn from bottom of unit, as you later did, to get air into the top.

The instructions do say this is the way to do it, though. Apparently if the tap is lower than the megaflo, this will allow air to enter the top of the cylinder (even though, as you say, the water draw off is at the top of the cylinder). Aside from wasting ~30L of hot water, drawing from the bottom didn't take too long, so this is the method I'll use in future.

Just note that an expansion vessel added to the unit will still require that expansion vessel to be checked and serviced once a year for a suitable air charge.
Nothing is totally maintainence free unfortunately

Thanks and understood. I actually do have it serviced once a year (even though, if Im being honest, I've considered not bothering!), but it seems even the G3 qualified technicians have been recharging incorrectly, and hopefully explains why I've been needing to recharge it more than once a year. The EV just seems like a cleaner solution, as at least the pressure can be measured to see if it needs recharging or not. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Megaflo Air Bubble not taking expansion in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock