Mcs

Discuss Mcs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonG

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Have the new Worcester rep coming to see me on Monday. Bringing some info on their MCS scheme. Will be interested to see what he has to say!

Hi SimonG

It will be intersting to know what assistance Worcester Bosch are offering, Last year I went to a product information seminar at Oxford Uniteds Football ground, a great dissapointment as I detest football But I found the event of great use and very informative, they did say at the time that they were running some sort of course to assist installers attain MCS accreditation, so please let us know how you get on.

regards

Mike

Ive just been browsing Plumb center's new Renewables catalogue. They are offering MCS through NAPIT for £480 for one technology. Sounds ok, but Ive got a niggling question which hopefully someone can answer. If I train for a renewable technology, gain the qualification, apply for MCS, pass the document stage what happens when it comes to the inspection stage? As far as I can make out you need to have installed a system without being MCS accredited. Who, at the time of everyone being told "Use an MCS installer", is going to pay me to fit a system in order to use it for inspection purposes when surely the carrot is the FIT or RHI, which states you must use an accredited installer?
I suppose I could fit one to my home but would I then be able to claim either the FIT or RHI retrospectively as I wouldn't technically be MCS accredited at the time of installation?
The mind boggles.. the only thing that is certain about this certification is that it wasn't thought up by people "in the know" in our industry.

Last edited:
the old chicken and egg question..........

I would assume it would gain it retrospectiovely after accreditation, but I might have used too much common sense in my assumption.

what happens is you have to install an MCS accredited product then the accreditation body come to inspect all your paperwork sytems this takes the whole day, when they turn up they more or less tell you that no one passes the first time and you will probably require a second visit, they will then inspect your installation, this will take less than 60 seconds literally and then proceed to show you their complete lack of knowledge of heatpumps.
Sorry if I sound bitter but this is my experiance of them, mind you I didnt try with Napit and I didnt bother trying again.

You can still sign off your first install but not until you have passed the MCS because when you fill out the the online database they only require the date of commisioning which you will do after attaining MCS if you try to put a commisioning date in before you are MCS accredited it will reject it.

Quick update after reps visit today.

Been on their website and registered for the MCS section. Once logged on all the documentation is available for download. Once its all completed, they simply send out e-mail notifications when documents are amended and updated. Would have helped if he had brought out the info with him, now going to post it.

So we shall see.

That sounds pretty positive, when you say paperwork are you on about all the paper sytems required by MCS for the inspector to look at?

To be honest still not 100% sure, I've only glanced at the stuff on the website. I'm going to download it all and go through it when I get a chance. Prob when I get the info through the post.

HI Guys,

Just a quick one on the paperwork side please be careful if using template documentation as the MCS Inspector will want to see that it is relevant to your organisation and you still need to write the MCS Procedures and documentation for your business you cant just use templates and alter the company information as the inspector will fail you on it and you will have to pay for a fresh inspection.

Just a word of warning, also worth looking online as there are plenty of people giving feedback who have tried to use templates to pass.

It would be interesting to see how many people left their their original "application" unaltered then passed the second time. By gum I can be cynical sometimes ...

I think I have proved time and time again that my customers come first, as a self employed person who does not advertise at all, I have always given a fair price for a fair job and all my work comes word of mouth. Why should I have to sting my customers to fund all these different schemes and organisations that I am forced to join through regulations, As I have stated before when I started plumbing, my qualifications covered Gas, Oil and solid fuel, Now I have to belong to individual bodies to work on each fuel, at this moment in time I may work on 1 or 2 gas appliances a month, I may work on 4 or 5 oil boilers a year and I may work on 1 or 2 solid fuel appliances a year.

Who pays for all these, me, I know that this can be set against my books at the end of the year but ulitmately I still have to pay for it up front, It has been proved that if you put all your eggs in one basket you can be on the road to disaster, many people on this forum are struggling at the moment because work is tight If they are only gas safe registered and one of their regular customer has decided to use renewables and require MCS they have to pass the work on to someone else, does this mean that they are not capable of installing the equipment, no of course not, they ultimately have to make the choice of spending thousands of pounds to register as MCS on the off chance that they may get loads of renewable work, so what happens if they only ever do one install, they certainly can not pass this cost on to just one customer,

Once again the self employed man is slowley but surely being driven out of the industry because many in the industry think of him as a cowboy, well if thats the case I aint hanging up me spurs, chaps or stetson just yet.

well said unguided. i think i look quite fetching in my stetson so it's staying lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mcs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock