Search the forum,

Discuss Mature trainee in Plymouth looking for a plumber to work for/with . in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi im Gary,
I'm 40 years old, married with 3 kiddies. I'm changing career hence the my age . I'm half way through my city in guilds level 2 and I'm looking for a plumber who needs a labourer/mate in the Plymouth area.
I want to do level 3 and become has safe if I can. I just need on the job training .
I don't mind helping out Saturday's red as I'm keen to get going. I have my own transport aswell.
Thanks for looking
Gary.

good luck, only problem i foresee is some of us like our weekends at home.

I can see your point lame plumber but that's the only free time I have.
I'm still looking guys.

Good luck Gary , same as lame ! most of the guys only do Monday/Friday the odd sat does happen but usely finishing off a Friday job! What made you go for Plumbing ? Plymouth is over-run with them, If your prepared to work for free may help but you will be very lucky seeking weekend work

Thanks for the reply jts. I was going to do plastering but there are no evening courses so I did plumbing instead. I enjoy it and so far have took to it fairly well.
I only said about weekend work as that when I'm free and I'd do free work to get some experience. I have some coming up hopefully.
I'd really like to be a plumber mate and learn that way. Let's see what the future holds.

Hello ,
I'm still looking for a placement. I've nearly finished my course and I'm very keen now to start out.
Can anyone help me out ?
I have a clean driving licence and my own van. Starting to get some tools together aswell.
Thanks for looking
Gary.

Have you put any adds up in local merchants ? Some new build work starting at sherford may be worth a visit to site, age and experience are a little against you, as well as all the other younger lads in a similar position, and can you afford to work for very low wage wile still training ? your commitments could restrict your options, young guys living at home will work for a lot less than someone who has a family to support.
What are you looking to earn in the first 3/4 years ??

Last edited:
Hello ,
I'm still looking for a placement. I've nearly finished my course and I'm very keen now to start out.
Can anyone help me out ?
I have a clean driving licence and my own van. Starting to get some tools together aswell.
Thanks for looking
Gary.

I started at 43, jobbing handyman come renovator. did anything to earn a crust, whilst concentrating on plumbing, then hit the gas side, then oil etc. took a while, but had to do it on my own, found a mentor on the way in the form of a retired plumber running his own plumbing merchant store. No one wants to take on older folk with kids. I Was able to use rental income to help boost income though,plus my rates were fairly low at the start to get work, then took on repairs/maintenance as confidence grew, takes a bit of balls and gnashing of teeth to get it right without teeing off customers, but once learned write it down so you know where to look next time

Tell me about it. All I here is companies can't find tradesmen but seem reluctant to train anyone up.

All down to what it costs to employ you & the cost of training, with no experience you are an expensive item to keep , The days of starting as a Plumbers mate are long gone, company's need you to earn money for them ! not cost money, don't believe the story's about a shortage of tradesmen, there is however a shortage of work around, and what there is goes to the guys with plenty of experience and even those find it difficult, Lots of competition out in the market, and you have to prove that your better than the last man,

Oh well, have to see what happens at least I still have my other trade to keep me employed.

Try Plastering or Tiling pays better & not the expensive layout on tools and on-going training costs , even worse if you want to do gas, forever paying out average 1G a year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mature trainee in Plymouth looking for a plumber to work for/with . in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock