Search the forum,

Discuss marcrist CCU850X - used for first time - nearly no segments left!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beesley121

Hi guys,

after reading alot of reviews on here and other forums regarding how good the marcrist CCU850X bits were, I decided to purchase a set of 3 for £160.

Anyway, today, I needed to core out a 35mm hole using my new bit. After drilling for approx 20mins and finally getting throught the wall, I find that the diamond segments on the core bit are almost gone!!!

I honestly dont know what to do!! I read these are the bees kness when it comes to coring, but this had lead me to believe otherwise.
These cores are where listed as being able to drill through reinforced concrete. Ive just had a look on the marcrist website and they state these bits are ok for light reinforced concrete

now I was drilling through a prefabricated house, the kind that made up with loads of pebbles 'concreted' together with alot og air spaces between them (im sure someone will understand what im saying)
I never hit any rebar at all, not sure if there is any rebar in these houses.

So what do you guys think i should do?? should this bit have been able to cope? advice would be much appreciated

What drill did you use?

You didn't use the hammer function. Did you?
-

nope, just rotation - i didnt even force it either! i let it do the work. Moved it in and out of hole to clear debris, basically done all the things they recommend when core drilling - just never used water but these bits say they are for dry coring

any idea what marcrist will say when I ring them

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe the drill was faulty causing it to perform like on hammer???

Sounds like you were drilling through a nofines wall. These will kill any core bit as the stones become loose and knock fk out of the bit. If you do one of these again use a tungsten bit in an sds max or dig through it with a hammer and chisel.

thanx for all your replies guys,

If I ring up marcrist, what should I say to them? do you think its unreasonable to ask for a replacement? any advice on what to say to marcrist to get a new bit would be much appreciated

You could argue 'not fit for purpose' but I doubt your chances, maybe they'll give you a discount on another bit though? Worth a try.

If you ever to drill a nofines wall and don't have a tungsten, use a cheap drill bit because it is in the bin after drilling. Usually the teeth are knocked off them too.

PDP DC12864 PREMIER 4-Star Diamond Dry Core 12 Piece Kit DC12864 £84.95

I've just bought this set to try, I'm under no illusion that its not a cheap set but I'll see how it goes with my new core drill, I already have an Erbauer 117mm bit and that seems okay for a budget core bit.

Just checked the prices of the Marcrist bits £210 for 127mm! thats too serious an amout of money for me to spend on a drill bit, thats only getting occasional use.

PDP DC12864 PREMIER 4-Star Diamond Dry Core 12 Piece Kit DC12864 £84.95

I've just bought this set to try, I'm under no illusion that its not a cheap set but I'll see how it goes with my new core drill, I already have an Erbauer 117mm bit and that seems okay for a budget core bit.

Just checked the prices of the Marcrist bits £210 for 127mm! thats too serious an amout of money for me to spend on a drill bit, thats only getting occasional use.

i paid 160 for a set of three of the standard sizes, so 5 inch, 2inch and 1.5inch

just dont use them on prefab houses

You see some people buy a dirt cheap core bit and charge it to the job each time that way they don't have hundreds tied up in bits.

Dont you think its better to have a set of decent core drill of your own and then if you want, you can still charge them for the 'cheap bit' you was going to buy!! that way, you will have paid for the bits in no time and also begin to make a profit on them too

I know that this type of wall is the only reason the teeth on this bit has worn down. Ive used loads of cores in the past, even cheap ones. They work, just slower and dont last as long

Dont you think its better to have a set of decent core drill of your own and then if you want, you can still charge them for the 'cheap bit' you was going to buy!! that way, you will have paid for the bits in no time and also begin to make a profit on them too

I know that this type of wall is the only reason the teeth on this bit has worn down. Ive used loads of cores in the past, even cheap ones. They work, just slower and dont last as long

Love that way of thinking mate.

i would not use a core bit on a nofines wall, sds bit dont last long either. Kango/hammer and chisel job for this.

i used a brand new 25mm sds bit (dewalt) on a nofines wall and it bent on the first hole and i had to chuck it away. I learnt from that its cheaper to kango these walls. :(

I take it you know for a fact that the core drill is genuine Marcrist? Just thinking that it could possibly be a fake.

Don't laugh, there are plenty of fake power tools out there, so it could happen to core cutters too!! Infact I think I've seen something about fake Bosch angle grinder discs.

Don't know what make my latest set of core cutters is....cost me around £200 for a full set of about 5, plus augers, SDS and conventional. Broke a tooth off one the first time I used it, going through a reinfored concrete slab. I know how you feel. Gutting.

I still have my set before that, which is ancient. I tend to keep a worn set for drilling anything liable to damage them. I'm about due a new set. I'll check out some of the suggestions given. Thanks.

Last edited:
It seems the B&Q ones are made by Marcrist, I wonder if they're the same qaulity?

A while back there were guys doing the rounds of the sites selling Makita and DeWalt stuff that was fake. All plastic gears that broke in a few weeks.
Always try to buy tools from reputable places.

I would take it straight back to them and get your money back or a replacement. We are a diamond core UK manufacturer and if any customer has used our products incorrectly and notified us about it then we have ALWAYS swapped out the diamond core drill bit for them.

What I find suprising as a factory owner is how much installers will blame themselves or the work conditions for the failure of equipment rather than blame the equipment. Note there is a lot of marketing costs that go into some products and often its a good chunk of the cost of the item. You can sometimes not tell the difference between a cheap drill and an expensive drill. A lot of it is branding.

My advice to end with is the same as it was to begin with. Dont take it laying down. Get a refund or a replacement. Insist on it.

just to let you guys know, Ive just got off the phone to marcrist. I explained what i had used it for and what drill i had used and he told me to send it back for a brand new replacement plus some compensation for courier costs

now what a service for marcrist!!! so glad i bought a reptiable brand. Be sure though i will never use a core bit on a no fines wall again

Well done you (and well done them) Its something that should be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to marcrist CCU850X - used for first time - nearly no segments left!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock