Search the forum,

Discuss MAPP gas vs propane gas? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
He soon found that he was getting a few failed joints.

Seems a common thing with those who use mapp speaking to a few guys i know. Might be too much localised heating, don't know.

How about The old paraffin lamps? no only kidding, not that old.

How about The old paraffin lamps? no only kidding, not that old.

Want to buy one:wink:

Infact PM me your address and i'll send you one Steve. Gen up. I've got loads.
You can go buy a bottle of paraffin and play with it setting the hedge on fire:lol:

Take your pick
IMG_2414.jpg

And i have more.

Now that is what I call proper kit !
Will last not like all the tat we buy today ?

I am ashamed of you tamz, at least 2 of them need polishing :)

I like Mapp because I can use a smaller flame so there's less risk of scorching stuff. Not a time thing though it's just what you're used to. I do see a lot of people burning the flux with Mapp by overheating the fittings.

Wow! Ive seen drawings but never seen one before?
Could i buy one!
I like steampunk styled stuff and would love abit of plumbing antiquity!

I've got fond memories of my fathers paraffin torch flaring every now and again when you first lit it. It was a real advance when he got his Bullfinch torch and used a 3.7 cylinder of propane. Bit of a pain lugging it round roof spaces though.

Propane for me, no need for mapp if there's water in the pipe get it out otherwise it'll just blows hole in your solder when it turns to steam.cant remember the last time I had a soldered leak so it's doing the job just fine, plus mapp gas stinks and the customers walk in and think you've dropped your guts over the kitchen floor.

The smell is an advantage, when you've dropped your guts you can blame the gas.

Never noticed smell to be honest unless you mean the burning skirting boards...

Dont worry love it was only a small fire and anyway the flood put it out. Have you got any towels?....:p

MAPP is just waste of money. We need just 230-250 degrees to melt lead free solder and little less for tin/lead. On plain propane we can heat the fitting up to 500 degrees or even more.

MAPP is just waste of money. We need just 230-250 degrees to melt lead free solder and little less for tin/lead. On plain propane we can heat the fitting up to 500 degrees or even more.

i agree upto a point.

not always easy soldering outside in wind on a cold day with propane. also larger pipe diameters 28 mm upwards it is beneficial to use mapp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to MAPP gas vs propane gas? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock