Search the forum,

Discuss MAPP gas vs propane gas? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stu3y

just wondering whats the better gas to use and why?

ive been buying tools over the last few weeks, i bought a superfire 2 blowtorch and propane gas, in the merchants they asked if i wanted mapp or propane.. i know mapp burns hotter.. is that needed for the likes of 15mm and 22mm copper though?

Ive always used propane on all my installations, never had a problem on 28mm

Superfine 2 is a very powerful torch with propane and I think a bit too powerful fir 15mm & 22mm & needs you to back off the heat. Easily does 28mm tees & copes with damp pipes. I wouldn't want any hotter than propane & frankly I used Butane for years with the old style hand lamps & a hose to the bottle & it was usually more than enough for 15 & 22mm.

I only use Mapp, it is quicker thus saving money on time and gas, it is fine to use on microbore.

Take the Rottenburger torch back and get the Bernzomatic and you save ÂŁ20, which is two gas bottles.

This old chestnut, again. MAPP for me, but would recommend propane for a learner. Have a look on the search function.

Mapp isnt mapp anymore as far as I can tell.
For past year or so yellow tins seem to be mapp/propane mix which burns at a temp somewhere between the two and more akin to propane than mapp....

if ts mapp, its quick heat so you have to be quick (skilled) not to not burn the fitting

if its propane, you have to be patient but not set fire to the building

Mapp isnt mapp anymore as far as I can tell.

It was just a trademark name anyway, Map Plus and Map Pro are what it's called now, slightly modified, still 25% hotter than propane, at least twice as fast to solder with

Last edited by a moderator:
47 kg bottle for the men and 19kg bottle for the boys ?
ÂŁ19.00 for a 19kg bottle it will last years and keep you fit !

It was just a trademark name anyway, Map Plus and Map Pro are what it's called now, slightly modified, still 25% hotter than propane, at least twice as fast to solder with

Methylacetylenepropaniene

i use mapp but turn the burner down. it's still faster than propane

Only one other reply uses Propane, so i will try a hardly used yellow bottle of Mapp gas I have had for years gathering dust. Maybe I will be converted, but I generally prefer to take a little time soldering fittings, especially where on show, so Propane probably more than powerful enough for me. Surely Mapp is a lot more expensive?

Last edited:
Surely Mapp is a lot more expensive?

ÂŁ10 vs ÂŁ7 for propane, difference is you use half the amount with Map, so if anything, it is ÂŁ4 cheaper, it is the massive amounts of time you save spldering

ÂŁ10 vs ÂŁ7 for propane, difference is you use half the amount with Map, so if anything, it is ÂŁ4 cheaper, it is the massive amounts of time you save spldering

Thanks Gas! Guess u know your gases! :smile: I honestly didn't know the price difference as don't use Mapp gas. Now I am interested to try it. If it saves money then I better try to learn to solder faster!

Jeepers . Get a type c nozzle for your torch and it cooks a 28 in seconds with propane! Map and and does temper the copper. It's ok on lead tho????

Last edited by a moderator:
I've flicked back and forth between the two as always have two set up and grab the closest to hand. But prefer map myself

Never used MAPP as propane has always been fine for me. In fact I've only just started using blue gas as I always bought primus/sievert refills until they got too expensive!

I use a pencil flame in my superfire 2, will this work with MAPP?

I always use propane but as some other people have said I keep a bottle of Mapp in the van for 28mm or damp areas.

Primarily use propane up to 35 its fine normally though have some MAPP on the van as on that cold windy winter day when you're doing a external gas line it is helpful.

I hope some of you guys are not inter-changing half empty Mapp/Propane cylinders on to one torch.

I've always hated mapp. It is too hot for anything under 35mm if you are using a sure fire.
Yes it heats up quicker but to a higher temp so takes longer to cool. Time difference on a 15mm fitting must be about 2 seconds so what is the point.

I don't wear jimmy choos either :wink:

Some of the large players in the industry prohibit Mapp gas from being used by the employee's.

doesnt mapp give of a more toxic fume?

anyway, i use mapp, with a small pencil type torch up to 35mm. I dont use those carpy trigger torches unless its 28mm and outside in winter.

propane is a few seconds slower, best to learn with a small torch with propane.

propane i use primus bolted to a SF2,dont need to use anything else though i borrowed the old mans torch the other day he had mapp in it cant say i noticed any difference

I only got introduced to Mapp gas when my son was doing his apprenticeship. He learnt on it and I must say the joints were neat. He soon found that he was getting a few failed joints. He changed to a company who do not allow Mapp, Propane only. He has not had any problems since. I put this down to lower temperature and more even heat on small bore pipes. Its not about how quick you can solder its about a durable water tight system.

Think the vote is starting to swing towards Propane now! :smile:

I like the primus bottles too. A handy hammer if you are stuck:6:
I shouldn't say things like that :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to MAPP gas vs propane gas? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Just a query about what size in KW gas combi boiler do I need for a top floor flat (3rd floor). I have a Vokera Easi heat plus (20kW) gas combi boiler and it does the job, the radiators never go as hot as the should for example there are ten dots on the heat dial but the radiators...
Replies
Views
I bought a torch a few years ago that uses EN417 butane/propane cylinders. As someone who only uses a torch now and again, the torch has been fine on smaller copper pipe but struggles on 22mm, especially in the cold. I have seen an adaptor by Monument (437a) which I think should allow me to...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I have bought a cheap boiler to run my hot tub as others have on the interweb and have a question that you amazing plumbers will probably know the answer to straight away. I have the setup as pictured below and I am about to run some tests to get the best output all round. I am looking...
Replies
Views
I don't work now due to being ancient. I looked at a 'Range cooker' fired on kero. It had a slow leak that turned into a bad leak in a month! It had a welded fabricated boiler. I've seen such heat exchangers leak within 7 years from new. No wonder the Potterton heating production manager said...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock