Search the forum,

Discuss Manufacturers fixed price repairs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Scott_D

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Do you offer this to customers or not?

Example, I have a 10 year old Vaillant with f62 could be PCB or gas valve
PCB is around £250 for the part
Fixed price repair around £300

I have just repaired it with a new pressure sensor for F75 and luckily they had F62 before I arrived so I am not to blame

Yes eg if the fan takes the pcb out so they need a fan and pcb average fan around 150 pcb around 200 so 350 before labour so in my eyes not worth the hassle better off suggesting man repair

Do you offer this to customers or not?

Example, I have a 10 year old Vaillant with f62 could be PCB or gas valve
PCB is around £250 for the part
Fixed price repair around £300

I have just repaired it with a new pressure sensor for F75 and luckily they had F62 before I arrived so I am not to blame
I like repairs so I’d rather do them myself instead of recommending fixed prices.

even if its going to cost the customer more money?
It’s hard to say, as I really enjoy repairs. I don’t like to be beaten by a boiler. I would thought about fixed prices for long time but I think that’s not really worth it. Fixed prices are worth when you really know almost everything and you can be sure you can fix the boiler for a certain price. Everyone on here has a didpfferent approach in handling their customers.

£50 more but something might else go when you flip it back on etc I would

£50 more but something might else go when you flip it back on etc I would
So true.
Just changed recently a water pressure sensor and once I wanted to fill the system I tried turning the boiler on to put it into mid position. Guess what, pcb broke out of nothing. Do t ask me how that happened but it just didn’t want to turn on no more.

My way of looking at it is the manufacturers are not bothered about you or your customers all they are worried about is making more money for themselves and their shareholders. I mean some manufacturers try and steal your customers off you.

So to me do the job yourself the money is better off in your pocket and if its only a small job they won't pass it on to you.

My way of looking at it is the manufacturers are not bothered about you or your customers all they are worried about is making more money for themselves and their shareholders. I mean some manufacturers try and steal your customers off you.

So to me do the job yourself the money is better off in your pocket and if its only a small job they won't pass it on to you.

What happens if it ends up costing the customer 500 plus ?

What happens if it ends up costing the customer 500 plus ?

If I think it's going to cost that then I will recommend a new boiler or give then a price to replace parts.

Thing is manufacturers are killing the breakdown side by 1) offering long warranties 2) offering fixed price repairs and 3) jacking the price of spares up to cover 1 and 2.

This is my thinking with this f62 job
If I change the PCB then it’s still there and it needs a gas valve it’s £500 minimum on a 10 year old boiler

Be up front with the customer and say it is this part but also may need this part and could cost x amount then recommend replacing the boiler. Leave it up to the customer to decide.

If I think it's going to cost that then I will recommend a new boiler or give then a price to replace parts.

Thing is manufacturers are killing the breakdown side by 1) offering long warranties 2) offering fixed price repairs and 3) jacking the price of spares up to cover 1 and 2.

I’m finding I’m Getting more servicing work because of it as they state warranty is void unless serviced every year

So if they don’t get I serviced won’t effect your breakdown side

If they do you have a chance of the servicing work etc

I’m finding I’m Getting more servicing work because of it as they state warranty is void unless serviced every year

So if they don’t get I serviced won’t effect your breakdown side

If they do you have a chance of the servicing work etc

Yes I find I'm getting more service work but the breakdown side is getting less and less and those that I do get are usually the scraps like a rad not working.

If I service a boiler through a 10 year warranty at what I charge that would be £600 over 10 years. If I do a breakdown and have to go back to fit a part that's £110 to me plus a % of the part so I could earn as much in 1 visit as I could in 2 years.

There is always the ones that don't bother having it serviced but they are usually the ones who are less loyal and will just phone whoever and then just moan That the boiler which should still be in warranty has lost its warranty even though they get an email from me a month before it's due telling them that it is due.

Even if it cost £300 in the end it’s the customers choice whether or not to go ahead. You obviously give him an option whether it is a new boiler or a couple of parts. Some faults are tricky and not as straight forward. F75 can turn very bad especially when it turns into an intermittent fault.

A couple of years ago, I was meeting with a heating supplier in regards to a service contract for their heaters.
I asked for a price list for their spare parts so that I could quote / charge for repairs on the spot.
I would have to have parts on hand for repairs and wanted to know the amount of stock I would have to have on hand.
He printed out the price list for me and put it in a binder.

Somehow, their cost price sheet was added.
Their cost from the manufacture for a PCB was $45.00.
Their price to me for servicing their boilers under contract was $225.00.
Their list price was near $350.00.

My normal price for the PCB was 275.00, if I didn't have a service contract. (This is what I had been paying in the past)

That's the mark up the spare parts

Go Figure!!!!

Reply to Manufacturers fixed price repairs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock