Search the forum,

Discuss Makita Vs DeWalt in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
BSS have Milwaulkee drill with 2 Li-on batteries for £159.

Learned a harsh lesson with a brand new Makita a few years back. Always make sure you scratch your name very deeply on the batteries. I failed to do so and after putting one on charge on what I thought was a good building site with a few so called good workers on it, I returned to find an old plaster covered battery in its place followed by a total denial from everyone with the same drill. Had my suspicions who done it but could not prove it. Never spoke to him or worked with him again and now keep a close eye on everything whenever any of his countrymen are on sites.

Like everything else it depends how you use or abuse them.
Believe it or not this was one of the best drivers ever made and it has still imo never been bettered which is why 20 years later it is still on sale unchanged. Best balanced driver you can buy.
Makita 6095DWDE 9.6v Drill Driver 6095DWDE £109.95
It is not a drill, it is a driver. Use it for what it is the same as any other tool.

Try Hilti and you will never use anything else for your serious stuff. Your money will be well spent.

i remember those makita drills. Carpenters would sleep with them they were so popular.

BSS have Milwaulkee drill with 2 Li-on batteries for £159.

Learned a harsh lesson with a brand new Makita a few years back. Always make sure you scratch your name very deeply on the batteries. I failed to do so and after putting one on charge on what I thought was a good building site with a few so called good workers on it, I returned to find an old plaster covered battery in its place followed by a total denial from everyone with the same drill. Had my suspicions who done it but could not prove it. Never spoke to him or worked with him again and now keep a close eye on everything whenever any of his countrymen are on sites.

I used to work with a chap who, when his battery ran out, would swap his flat one with your fully charged one and put the flat one in your box. You'd go to the next job, flatten a battery and get your charged one out to find it flat. Not an issue with nicking stuff as it was all company issue but flipping irritating.

I was unfortunate enough to have to work with him on quite a few jobs. On one job he cleared the rubbish into the back of my van. When I opened the back of the van the next morning to put it in a hippo bag he had put it all in loose instead of bagging it. It all fell out and proceeded to blow up and down the road.

I think the 8406 has remained unchanged for at least 10 years.
ae235

I mean when you have a good design why mess with it?

Also regarding batteries I wonder if the lithium polymer batteries will ever make their way to cordless tools? They're used I think in some phones and electric cars etc and can be smaller and thinner than lithium ion but are more expensive.

I think the 8406 has remained unchanged for at least 10 years.
ae235

I mean when you have a good design why mess with it?

Also regarding batteries I wonder if the lithium polymer batteries will ever make their way to cordless tools? They're used I think in some phones and electric cars etc and can be smaller and thinner than lithium ion but are more expensive.
thats the one i have,been for repair though £140 ouch

lads,

all this talk from owners of dewalt, makita, milwaukee. All my powertools expect my core and angle drill are HILTI
i have a hilti 36volt with hoover attachment, hilti 110volt te2m, hilti 18volt 3.3ah impact and cordless drill and yes they are dear buy with 2 year no cost and a limited cost after the 2years of 75quid no matter what happens how can you beat that, you would be lucky if the dewalt etc cordless last 2 years.

My Makita BHP 452 drill is about 3 years old and is ready for a new trigger switch so I will buy one, I do have a back up body only that I got really cheap brand new for about £45.

Neither nowadays. De walt aren't as robust as they used to be and I got put off Makita when the gearboxes went on two in quick succession.

My 36v is a Bosch and my 18v is Hitachi. Milwaukee are excellent as well.

My Milwaukee 24v is comming to the end of its life after 7 years of repeated trouble free daily use. Was going to stick with them for the replacement, though the boss at my tool yard reckons I should go for the Bosch 36v as its the 'best'; he says Milwaukee back up is not as good anymore etc. Is the Bosch model that good? Anyone got the latest milwaukee models?

My Milwaukee 24v is comming to the end of its life after 7 years of repeated trouble free daily use. Was going to stick with them for the replacement, though the boss at my tool yard reckons I should go for the Bosch 36v as its the 'best'; he says Milwaukee back up is not as good anymore etc. Is the Bosch model that good? Anyone got the latest milwaukee models?

I've had 12v and 18v Milwaukee since I ditched Bosch about 3 years ago. I haven't had a single problem, apart from the blade is stuck in my 12v hackzall, which is my own fault for not taking it out after it got wet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I use
bosch 36v hammer dril
Bosch 36v recip saw
Bosch 36v combi dril
Hilti 14.4v impact driver
hilti 14.4v dril driver
hilti dimond drill i think is 1600w

I use
bosch 36v hammer dril
Bosch 36v recip saw
Bosch 36v combi dril
Hilti 14.4v impact driver
hilti 14.4v dril driver
hilti dimond drill i think is 1600w

Have to admit, hilti would be my brand of choice if I wasn't too tight to buy it.

Haha, cant help it - Yorkshireman.

you will get all your work done much quicker and much easier

less stress and less vibration to your hands

any way that is what my dad told me and he was right

I must admit the 'hammer action' on my Makita combi drill is pretty pathetic, I know its not SDS but I'm sure my other Dewalt drill has better hammer.

I use my 14.4 combii drill for deilling in to wood and flues ! 36v combi i use for
large holesaw in to wood only and wet dimond drilling on tiles .
Any drilling that need hummer gets done with the 36 bosch or i have a big sds max hilti for the solid concret walls

All my makita gear has outlasted my Dewalt stuff. However for stuff I rely on it's Hilti every time now.

A mix bag of both and other bits and bobs ...

The one that surprised me the most is jcb drill I bought in b and q a couple of years ago needed a new core drill but funds were a bit low at the time so went for the jcb one £100 odd quid at the time the work that thing has done and never failed jammed it still going strong..I was expecting it to be in the bin by now

I love my makita gear. Reliable. It is somewhat overpriced for what it is in some cases. DeWalt I can't fault, but I'm reluctant to buy it, as working on-site alot it is a massive target for thieves as it's easy to sell on. My dad has had £1000's of DeWalt gear pinched in the past and he won't buy it now simply for that reason.

I have a couple of 36v Hilti Hammer Drills that I won't leave out my sight either, those would be gone if they were left lying around. Luckily, you can have the batteries tracker tagged by Hilti, but it's still not worth risking having it pinched.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer Makita to Dewalt. Although nothing beats the 36v Hilti and the 18v milwaukee with the metal chuck.

also been wondering about this for awhile. ive looked online an through youtube for any decent comparison...still a tough one, i was looking at buying a combo kit...like the makita lxt or milwaukee becos of that hackzall which looks awesome. dewalt has always had a good name from what ive heard but people say they've slightly went down hill, owned by black an decker also now. :S

They have been black and deckered for many years now.
Look on the Hilti website for much better quality stuff that doesn't cost much more. If you register you will see the prices but these are usually negotiable.

Thanks for the info...I didn't know that :)

Yeh will do...don't have the cash for Hilti just now but wud continue to save if it was worth it.

I like the combo kits because they seem really light an portable and Gav many options.

Cheers for the advice tamz

most hire shops either only have bosch or makita power tools that speaks for its self really
i have a bosch gbh 24v sds that is 10 yrs old and still going strong the 2 batteries still take a full charge too well impressed with it i dont use a 240v sds at all

I also have dewalt xrp combi drill this is 5 years olds and is a good tool but 1 off the batteries has stopped charging

keep thinking of upgrading and slashing out on a set of new 18v Liron tools but too tight

most hire shops either only have bosch or makita power tools that speaks for its self really

What that speaks is they are getting big buying discounts. I know how they work because the wife was a buyer for a few of them in her past life.
Speak to the service guys at the rental shop and see what they think. They will tell you what they work on most.
Btw L-ion is not all its cracked up to be. Far from it!

cheap to buy , expensive to rent ...... Keeps the profit level up
if you have used hilti hammer drie you would know the difrence

Sheesh my head is mince after looking at a couple of site for drills for the last couple hours to see what kind of money im looking at when ready to get power tools....I had no idea there was sooooooo many to choose from....drill drivers, combis, impact and so on, and thats just for the cordless ones too.

Far too many model numbers from each brand really does my head in......at least I have plenty time to do lots of searching to see what I will actually need.

Makita BHP451RF 18V 3.0Ah Li-Ion Cordless Combi Drill | NoLinkingToThis

ae235

Just bought this even though I have two of the smaller 452's, will sell the charger on ebay. I needed another battery and quite fancied the bigger more powerful drill so I thought I grab a bargain.

Makita LXT BHP451RFE 18V 3.0Ah Li-Ion Cordless Combi Drill | NoLinkingToThis

Same drill with an extra battery is £170 more expensive.

What that speaks is they are getting big buying discounts. I know how they work because the wife was a buyer for a few of them in her past life.
Speak to the service guys at the rental shop and see what they think. They will tell you what they work on most.
Btw L-ion is not all its cracked up to be. Far from it!
have to agree on that one,for one they cant handle the cold for 2 they die quick

That Bhp451 certainly is a big heavy beast compared to the 452, I've read that the 452's have plastic gears to save weight? The 451 deffo has an all metal gearbox but the price you pay is the extra weight.
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Makita Vs DeWalt in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock