Search the forum,

Discuss Makita Screwgun not fit for purpose in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Makita DFR550Z 18V Li-ion Auto-feed Screwdriver - BODY ONLY (4000rpm) | Powertools2u

I knew the reviews were bad for this screwgun but I put them down to user error as I never seem to have the same problems as most guys but upon using this today its clear they were right. Its truly horrible, it cams out all the time and doesn't seem to fire straight, its a shame because it feels well built.

Been in the cold garage for 2 hrs and wasted about 300 collated screws.

No way am I using that again, I'd emailed Powertools2U just now explaining my problems, they say they have a 25% restocking fee but as this is not fit for purpose it seems unfair.
I'd put it on ebay but they'd probably just send it back!

I have no consumer rights because on my invoice it says PR Plumbing.

If its business to business you have less rights than a consumer as I understand it?

If its business to business you have less rights than a consumer as I understand it?

Not 100% certain,but if its not fit for the purpose intended that law does not apply

Its faulty, request a full refund or replacement

Phil is right that a business to business purchase (known as B2B) does not enjoy the same statutory protections as a business to consumer purchase (B2C).

However, B2B customer still have contract law on their side, as well as a very powerful lobbying power (as made clear by this forum).

So whilst Phil can't use the same legal remedies as a retail customer, that does not mean that he is without legal remedies. They are just different.

I have the Same gun.. Sent it back after first use. It wouldn't put a single screw in...!!

Turns out, I had it in reverse! Why did they put a reverse on? It can't take screws back out,

After the embarrassing pick up from the merchant, it's been very good .

Thanks Ray, lets see what happens when I hear back tomorrow. I'd be happy with a credit note for something I can use.

Chalked, do you use yours for Hardiebacker boards? That's what I need it for but this thing just slips and makes a dreadful noise, every few screws it puts them in fine but then goes off again.

Chalked, do you use yours for Hardiebacker boards? That's what I need it for but this thing just slips and makes a dreadful noise, every few screws it puts them in fine but then goes off again.
It's no good for Hardie. You will snap a good quality impact bit on that stuff, trying to drive them straight in. Plus the screws are mild steel! They will rust. You will need to pilot drill the holes. Then use turbogold screws and adhesive.

Ever since Kyle on the tiler forum mentioned he uses his Hilti screwgun for Hardiebacker and he gets a sheet down in 10 seconds I became obsessed with trying to achieve this, those Senco flooring screws are more or less the sa me as Turbo golds eg zinc plated.

Ever since Kyle on the tiler forum mentioned he uses his Hilti screwgun for Hardiebacker and he gets a sheet down in 10 seconds I became obsessed with trying to achieve this, those Senco flooring screws are more or less the sa me as Turbo golds eg zinc plated.
Agree. The senco screws are very good. I'm a member on there too and I don't think he uses Hardie. It's no more ply. Very similar, but a lot softer. Personally, I hate cement backer boards. Insulation boards, like marmox, wedi board etc, are far easier to cut and give some degree of uncoupling the tiles from the floor.

Sounds like a joke you fell for mate, you've as much chance screwing straight into brick than getting through Hardibacker without pre-drilling.

Sounds like a joke you fell for mate, you've as much chance screwing straight into brick than getting through Hardibacker without pre-drilling.

The Makita gun does fire them in, its just if you get the angle a fraction off it chews the heads up.

I'm realising now after another go on it there is definatly a knack to it.

Nobody pre drills Hardie do they? I normally screw my Turbogolds straight it.

Interesting Chalked, I wonder why my tile shop only sell Hardie..

Interesting Chalked, I wonder why my tile shop only sell Hardie..[/QUOTE]
Try your local CTD, they stock thier own brand of insulation boards. Trust me, once you use them, you won't go back to cutting dusty cement boards.

Cement boards do have a place though. When you need to make the floor a bit more rigid.

Back to the screw gun. I presume you were pulling the trigger befor making contact.

I've got the same gun but in 240v, it's a piece of garbage I reckon.
It's forever misdriving screws and then when you get the inevitable jam it's nigh on impossible to get the screw out without a massive battle with a pair of long nose pliers.
I've got a Senco cordless which is so much better.
Also now got a Senco 240v which is far superior to the Makita.

Yes pulling trigger keeping it held, really wish I'd bought the dewalt now but seemed a shame to buy into another battery system.

Don't have a CDT anywhere near..just an indepentant and a tile Giant.

Heard some good reviews on the Bosch or hilti's ones

The Makita gun does fire them in, its just if you get the angle a fraction off it chews the heads up.

I'm realising now after another go on it there is definatly a knack to it.

Nobody pre drills Hardie do they? I normally screw my Turbogolds straight it.

Well yes I do but then I don't use it that often and it's usually the 12mm hardi directly on stud which is perhaps over the top but rock solid, I guess you're talking about the 6mm hardi but I'm happy to be corrected or proven wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Makita Screwgun not fit for purpose in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock