Search the forum,

Discuss Makita 18v 3.0 Batteries and charger problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Koogatubac

Hi, went to charge 1 of my batteries and it makes the fan noise for first 5 seconds then fan noise stops. I left it on charge for 2 HOURS than the normal 30/45 mins charge.

Ive had them for 2 years.
Any ideas?

Have heard of issues, if the chip in the battery thinks its dead it wont take a charge, nothing you can do from what i've read.

I've had issues, so have a couple of blokes I've worked with. Found three batteries in the skip the other week. The lith ion batteries in the Makita range aren't great.

Also my charger makes a horrible noise when you charge it. The fan is buggered. That'll be another ÂŁ70 I'll have to fork out soon.

I'm going to try a different brand next time. That will be in a long while as I have four cordless Makita tools. All 18V lith ion.

I know, all my gear is makita, the drills r spot on, havnt had any problems apart from now. Going to give it another go tomorrow and will let u guys know. Myt just be 1 battery.
Fingers crossed

It still shows the red light as its charging however the fan stops running :S

It still shows the red light as its charging however the fan stops running :S
It's charging then pal, fan stops in cold temps, only runs to cool the cells if batteries are hot or ambient temp is
is if battery is duff you get a different noise played and the red and green lights flash in an alternate sequence, got 7 of these suckers, 20 odd between us all, had 5 fail, new updated ones have a star symbol on top and bottom of battery!

call Makita, complain like mad, get an RMA number send off at their expense, with an invoice to prove you have bought them, they will replace them, trust me we have, and will again its a known fault, google it!

Read, it could be the charger. I have another charger i hardly us (my sds one) will try it all tomorrow and let u guys know just incase u guys get the problem

It's charging then pal, fan stops in cold temps, only runs to cool the cells if batteries are hot or ambient temp is
is if battery is duff you get a different noise played and the red and green lights flash in an alternate sequence, got 7 of these suckers, 20 odd between us all, had 5 fail, new updated ones have a star symbol on top and bottom of battery!

call Makita, complain like mad, get an RMA number send off at their expense, with an invoice to prove you have bought them, they will replace them, trust me we have, and will again its a known fault, google it!

It was -7 mind...

It worked for 1 battery charge, then wouldnt do any more. Was really cold. Hopefully its just the temperature then?

Dont think it will be in warranty, been over 2 years mate?

Last edited by a moderator:
It was -7 mind...

It worked for 1 battery charge, then wouldnt do any more. Was really cold. Hopefully its just the temperature then?

Dont think it will be in warranty, been over 2 years mate?
Same age as ours pal just about, ours were 26 months old! really lay it on, you buy nothing but Makita blah blah blah, it a common problem, according to your work colleagues etc and internet, ask for a manager when you ring, they will ask for an email address to send you a form to print off and address label etc...

Never had any probs with mine after 10 months although my charger is still inside the plastic bag that it came in! I just move the corner of the bag enough to insert the battery.(my laptop and iPad both still have the plastic covering on them).
i really should let myself go a bit more!

Lol you should. The charger needs to cool itself properly and it can't do that in plastic.

Update guys - worked long shift today. Was 6 degrees in a house and got all of my 4 3.0 batteries charged. However fan ran for 5secs for 3 of them and still charged. The other 1 fan ran throughout its charged.

So looks like its a case of if its cold then doesnt need to run the fan? If its warm it does?

Gaffer had hilti, they charged, builders had milwakki, they charged. Sparkys had dewalt they charged

Was only my makitas that didnt charge :(

I got my lith ion about 4ish years ago and 6months ago the batteries went... sold the broken ones on ebay for ÂŁ5 each (every little helps) ended up ordering a genuine makita battery for ÂŁ60ish + p&p and a replica for half the price. replica works just as good. then the charger went after the loud droning it was making... ÂŁ40 for a makita one off amazon..

Shorting the batteries with a high voltage. Arc welder from memory.

Loads of info on Google and some examples in YouTube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Makita 18v 3.0 Batteries and charger problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock