1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Mainsboost for unvented system in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Stants

Stants Member

Hi all for a loft conversion I’m renewing my heating system to an unvented one ( new boiler , Mega flo or similar ) all located in the new loft space , I’m on the cusp regarding pressure and flow rate so was going to upgrade mains into house but it was suggested to me to have another tank that stores ( or helps with ) pressurised water I’ve had a look online and would it be a mains boost system ? I’m wondering if anyone had any info about these ie are they a good option / any good .. all info great fully received
    Thanks

2. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Why did you give up on the mains idea?

• Like Like x 1
  3. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Problem is they run out too fast

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stants

Stants Member

I haven’t given up it was just suggested as an idea it’s possible rather than dig up the garden about 40 foot to put the new mains in

5. Riley

Depends how much space you’ve got to play with. Mains I think would be preferable if water hoard can confirm that by doing so you are likely to achieve a better flow and pressure

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stants

Stants Member

Yeah it was suggested I could upgrade the mains and still be no better off if there was a bit of a surge for water ie mornings and evening

7. Stants

Stants Member

I think I could make enough space but depending how big the cylinder would be I guess I would end up in the property with one bathroom and a shower in the loft so it’s not massive

8. Riley

Is that from water board or hearsay

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stants

Stants Member

Ah ok does it take long for it to get back up to pressure do you know ?

10. Stants

Stants Member

Only hearsay

11. Riley

Ask the waterboard

12. ShaunCorbs

Mole it ?

Only need two holes then

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

The basic problem here is our increasing mains water useage.
    We Uk get thro 250 litre per day UsA 400 plus and we are headed in that direction. So the short term solution is to fit decent mains suction pump
    eg Grundfos wras approved. stuff the upgraded water main.
    But when your neighbours get theirs installed you will be back to square one. Then get a wider mains supply installed ..loads of £ then your neighbours do same ...back to square one again. Now do not think I am a greeny etc I am not, just explaining how your journey will unfold...Rob Foster aka
    centralheatking...high level intermediate water storage is the answer....ie the old vented conventional domestic heating and hotwater production system

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  14. ShaunCorbs

Only boost it to 12lpm so no good to anyone

15. Stants

Stants Member

Ok cheers