Search the forum,

Discuss Mains Water pipe capacity in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have found It impossible to find even a rough answer to the following question, I'm hoping someone on hear can give me a educated answer.

Our property was built in 2007, the mains water pipe comes from a main on the edge of a village 550 metres away. The pipe travels level for 400 metre them drops down a mild hill the last 150 metres to the house.
The pipe is a 50mm pipe all the way then reduces to 32mm for the last 20metres, then connects to to normal 15mm? pipe to the house water system.

My question is does this pipe have the capacity to serve 5 additional 4 bed homes if all homes where taped in to the end of 50mm pipe with 32mm or 25mm pipes. If not how many homes would be achievable? Or would the pipe need to be bigger?

An educated answer/ guesses would be highly thanked as I am unable to anything remotely help ly googling it.
Regards the Navman

you best option would be to phone the water board up and ask them as they will be supplying you

Iv looked in to that through a developer enquiry but they want a lot of info and development site layouts, and money just to look at it. I'm just seeking educated views on the house capacity of a 50mm pipe.

There is too many factors to figure out. If you are going to spend the money on the development. Pay the water board for the info and loose these costs in the house prices. (You will make enough to not. Price it) You will be better off In the long run. (Rather then presuming or getting it wrong).

To be honest I think the answer is no. Especially if you are expecting to fit unvented cylinders or combi boilers. That's why the water board need the info in the first place.

An educated answer/ guesses would be highly thanked as I am unable to anything remotely help ly googling it.

As a rule of thumb the maximum capacity of a pipe corresponds to the water flowing at between 1 and 2 m/s depending on who's doing the specification. Using the these figures, your 50mm pipe should be able to deliver a maximum of between 110 and 220 litre per minute.

The same calculation predicts your 15mm feed will give you betwen about 9 and 18 litre / minute.

So, sharing the 50mm between 6 houses is not out of the question, in principle. Whether these rates are achievable in practice will depend things you will have great difficulty finding out unless you are the network operator. For example, the pressure and height the intake end of the 50mm run and details of its path and joints.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mains Water pipe capacity in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock