Search the forum,

Discuss Magnabooster 2 vs Magnaclean vs Fernox TF1? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ichilton

Hi,

From other places i've read, the Magnabooster 2 seems to be the favourite - is that true?

Which would people recommend?

Thanks,

Ian

I would recommend the Sentinel System Filter. It's essentially a Spyrotec unit but much cheaper. Solid brass instead of plastic and much easier to maintain. I get mine out the merchant for similar price to Magnaclean/TF1 but much more solid product.

I like the look of the spirotech and the sentinel units. Is it me or do all of these magnetic filter systems seem expensive for what they are?

yours, tight as a ducks ar*e

Paul

Personally, for all it's faults and build quality, i think the magnaclean does the best job.

i have only ever used magna clean,how do you clean the spirotech?it looks more durable

It is cleaned by doing a blowdown through a drain valve. Can be done quickly. All brass build.

IMO the spirotech capacity is rubbish compared to the magnclean, only problem with the magnaclean is the o-ring (red on) tends to go within a year causing it to leak out of the cap, i believe this issue was addressed by adey though!

The TF1 is a decent unit, I've switched to fitting these (used to use Magnaclean) and not had any problems. Really surprised how much muck it removes including bits of flux and solder. The magnacleans are good but often leak from lid.

How much room would you say you need to operate the TF1? I think they measure 300mm

The TF1 needs only about 75mm working space above to remove the filter as it comes out at an angle if needed. I always use the TF1 and find it superb. I also use the Fernox express inhibitor which will fit a whole can into the TF1.

The TF1 needs only about 75mm working space above to remove the filter as it comes out at an angle if needed. I always use the TF1 and find it superb. I also use the Fernox express inhibitor which will fit a whole can into the TF1.

I agree. Being able to dose the system with a whole can of Fernox F1 inhibitor is brilliant. Have always fitted the TF1's and will continue to do so

The TF1 seems the best to me .Also great for flushing the system out afterwards. Fitted lots or magnacleans and a few spirotechs but i still say the TF1 is best.

What if say you've got a Worcester cdi with pipes coming from the ceiling behind the boiler and no room to fit a mag or TF1?

I only install Spirotecs they are full flow with no problems.
The spirotech magnaboosters do not hold enough in them and the magnets are not that good either. We fitted them when i worked at BG and also they dont have valves on. All in All i don,t like them.

For all it's leaky faults, i personally think the magnaclean is the best filter.

For all it's leaky faults, i personally think the magnaclean is the best filter.

I think we have to be thankful for the magnaclean and i have one on my house but they are out of date now and no where near as good as some of the others on the market.
BG stoped fitting them because of all the problems and we were told because we should not of fitted them on sealed systems as Adey only test them to one bar.

Regardless of their test pressure and of what Big Gas say, they were and still are the best filter as far as catching magnetite and cleaning it. I too have one on my own house and i have all the others in stock so cost is irrelevant as far as i'm concerned.
Build quality magnaclean is the worst alongside the TF1. Plastic container dubious valves splitting magnets. Magnaboosters and Sentinel system filters are brass bodied but as for cleaning them who can tell? You certainly can't see inside them so do you trust the manu's (don't be silly)!
Have you ever tried washing the magnetite from a magnaclean without removing the sleeve? Don't work too well does it.
The whole problem with magnacleans and TF1's is the choose to get them manufactured in china or eastern Europe for the lowest possible price. Quality is second place. This has cost Adey as fitters have changed to more reliable filters. Although i personally have a magnaclean fitted to my system i would NEVER fit one to a customers. It is not worth the risk.
Never think because it is old technology it is obsolete. Look at the Sterling engine which was patented in 1816 but may have a use in future modern day living.

Regardless of their test pressure and of what Big Gas say, they were and still are the best filter as far as catching magnetite and cleaning it. I too have one on my own house and i have all the others in stock so cost is irrelevant as far as i'm concerned.
Build quality magnaclean is the worst alongside the TF1. Plastic container dubious valves splitting magnets. Magnaboosters and Sentinel system filters are brass bodied but as for cleaning them who can tell? You certainly can't see inside them so do you trust the manu's (don't be silly)!
Have you ever tried washing the magnetite from a magnaclean without removing the sleeve? Don't work too well does it.
The whole problem with magnacleans and TF1's is the choose to get them manufactured in china or eastern Europe for the lowest possible price. Quality is second place. This has cost Adey as fitters have changed to more reliable filters. Although i personally have a magnaclean fitted to my system i would NEVER fit one to a customers. It is not worth the risk.
Never think because it is old technology it is obsolete. Look at the Sterling engine which was patented in 1816 but may have a use in future modern day living.
We all have our own opinions and it would not be good if we all agreed.been to lots of faulty magnacleans and i would never install one again.Only fitted one in my house because i got it free.
The magnaclean was /is a great idea but the quailty of them is poor. I have not had any problems at all with the TF1 so until i do that is my choice.

Everyone to their own. They all have their strengths and faults.
I know what i like and find to be best but i would never fit it to a customer. What does that say about the product? It works but i don't trust it! A leak in my house only costs a bit inconvenience.
In a customers house it is a major event and i am to blame. It ain't happening so i don't fit them.
I only fit brass.

Everyone to their own. They all have their strengths and faults.
I know what i like and find to be best but i would never fit it to a customer. What does that say about the product? It works but i don't trust it! A leak in my house only costs a bit inconvenience.
In a customers house it is a major event and i am to blame. It ain't happening so i don't fit them.
I only fit brass.

Have you had problems with the TF1 leaking ?

Have you had problems with the TF1 leaking ?

No, but i have only fitted 2. Started off with magnacleans and liked the principal of them but they soon started failing. Tried a couple of TF1's then moved to the spirovent stuff then and swapped to magnaboosters soon after or sentinels. I don't really trust the plastic build of TF1's.At least you have a chance of it being ok with brass even if it is Italian or Chinese.

there all the same , i get them for cheap and have lots of Honeywell co alarms ! any one who is Plumbers Arms member interest let me know ! will post over to you !

But what I'm saying is boilers with pipework coming from above which is the majority of boilers in new builds say 10 years old the boilers are down stairs so your mag, TF1 and fernox system filler are no good as there's not enough space to clean out. The manufacturers need to come up with something for these boilers.

there all the same , i get them for cheap and have lots of Honeywell co alarms ! any one who is Plumbers Arms member interest let me know ! will post over to you !

Pm me mate......I'm always looking for these things....I fit a fair few of them.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I don,t know of anybody who has has problems with the TF1 ..What is a plumbers arms member ?

the guys with the red usernames, we are all plumbers arms members you'll get info on it on the forum somewhere think in plumbers forum

well i have only embraced the magna clean idea for about a year,not having any issues with the way i clean systems i just think they are a quality enhancement fitted a few adey mc time will tell if they will fail fitted my first tf1 this week magnet is a lot stronger but the swiveling orientation thing is dubious

"The whole problem with magnacleans and TF1's is the choose to get them manufactured in china or eastern Europe for the lowest possible price."
I was on a Fernox course a few weeks ago and was told TF1 is made in Surrrey apparently. Maybe they would say that, but he seemed to be certain and I believed him.

i prefer the magnaboost 2 - smaller and easier to fit no removing seals and spacers like the ferrnox filter - no isolation valves but more robust

ant

out of curiosity today i took the plate heat out of the potterton gold i had just fitted been running the weekend brand new system,no chemicals yet as more rads going in having to extend the circuit in sections due to custards/furniture etc fernox tf1 fitted plate heat has rusty water from the new rads in there after 2 days!!!!!!!! not impressed sticking with the magnaclean,whats breaking down on the magna clean? the large o ring on the cap? they now put a spare in the box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Magnabooster 2 vs Magnaclean vs Fernox TF1? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock