Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Macerator and Piping in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. varat

varat New Member

We are in the process of buying a 3 bed semi-detached house.

It has recently been renovated - the roof space has been converted to a large bedroom and a large bathroom. It does have a decent sized bathroom downstairs as well. The property has not been lived on since being renovated.

We did a buildings survey on it and the report suggested that the new upstairs bathroom operates using a macerator (toilet & bath) the report suggests that this can be quite loud when it operates and can be costly to maintain.

We had no idea about this before and I've started feeling a bit uneasy about the idea after reading all the horror stories about macerators online.

I did wonder why a macerator was used in the first place as its a loft conversion; my research suggested that a gravity based line could've been implemented. I've come to a conclusion that this might be because - to be on the right side of the plumbing pipes the toilet would need to be under the eves. This might make it impractical to sit and stand up.

The piping can be viewed through a hatch upstairs and it looks a bit untidy (Photo Attached). Is this normal?

I have attached photos of the bathroom and pipework. In the photo showing the external pipework, I have labelled as '2' the pipe coming out of the downstairs toilet. The macerator is behind the wall of the toilet and can be accessed through a hatch.

I wondered what experts here thought of the macerator set up and the pipework for the upstairs bathroom. Does it look all OK? Is there anything we should we be worried about?

Would we be able to eventually change the macerator to a gravity based system?

Thank you very much for taking time to read this post.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

As for the general installation I`ve seen better and awhole lot worse, can`t comment on the fall of the discharge (outlet) pipe from the photos or the fall of the pipe from both the bath and the basin to the pump (if attached) and by the letter of the law that is the wrong model for having a bath attached however usually it isn`t a problem and engineers will turn a blind eye to it and it could be easily made quieter if the operating noise is a problem.

Suggest you go back for a second viewing and whilst there conduct the following;
    Fill the basin and release the water (might have to do this 2-3 times), does the basin empty quickly without any gurgling sounds before the pump starts? (conduct the same with the bath on it`s own, leave the cold tap open untill the pump starts).
    Flush the toilet on full flush and the pump should start everytime within 5-6 seconds and stop within 10 seconds.

From the sticker it was either installed or serviced last by Pumpmaster in Worcester who will have records of it`s age and last service visit and the current service cost every year will be around £114 Incl vat with them.

Don`t believe all the horror stories, keep to the 3 P`s (Pee, Poo & Paper) and other than that then limescale and power cuts can cause problems.

Finally have an alarm fitted to it which will cost around £20 and where building regs apllied for when the space was converted?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. rpm

Only being there eyes on could advice be given about going mains drainage without the macerator but if it can be done then do it however 110mm pipe take space. ;)

4. varat

varat New Member

First of all thank you very much for the very useful points you have mentioned on your post.

The survey report said its only the bath and the toilet that are connected to the macerator. If that is the case, I am not sure where the basin pipes exit. Perhaps this isnt true and it all goes through the macerator.

I know you said you cant comment on the outlet pipes but from the pictures, is there anything that rings immediate alarm bells?
    Does the outlet pipe from the macerator running to the outside need to be at an angle to allow a bit of gravity flow?

Thank you, this is useful to know.

Thank you we will do this on Monday.

Again, very useful info, I will look in to this. Thank you.

I am assuming the servicing can get rid of the limescale issue? If it needs a complete replacement how much do you think itll cost to replace including labour?

Thank you, again useful know, I am assuming the alarm notified you of overflows or malfunctions? The solicitors will look in to the building regulations side of things. We have requested this too.

In your opinion, do you think this set up is ok and it shouldn't cause enough worry to halt a sale process?

Thanks again for your help.

5. varat

varat New Member

Thank you. What I don't understand is why the toilet wasn't placed under the eves. If it sat a bit forward it shouldn't cause too much problems sitting and standing. Placing this under the eves would mean there is more space for larger but shorter pipework with a fall to create a gravity flow down.

There is a lot of space wasted on the eves end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. rpm

No problem, you posted a good post with all the details I needed so I replied in the same manner.

No alarms bells ringing based on what I can see from here and the outlet pipe should fall by 10mm per m minimum without any sharp 90 degree elbows.

Servicing will remove the limescale providing the engineer spends at least 45 minutes to 1 hour working time on site ;) and around £500 - 750 depending on who you employ to replace it when the time comes.

Should there be a problem the alarm will tell you the water level in the tank is too high.

Hope you understand that as I am only going by a few non 3D photographs I`m not willing to be quoted on my reply in a court of law however I see nothing to cause concern on my laptop screen.

7. rpm

What you say sounds reasonable but again it needs somebody there to consider everything.

8. varat

varat New Member

Much appreciated and of course, I understand you are giving your opinion based on my unexperienced description and a few photographs. again, its much appreciated.

I believe the grey pipe shown on the photographs is the one that runs from the macerator. Sorry to ask this many questions but, it doesn't look to have much of an angle and also makes a 90 degree turn before it makes its way down to the ground. Do you consider this to be a sharp 90 degree elbow? Would it cause problems?

Noted. Thank you.

Useful, thank you very much.

Of course, totally understand.

9. rpm

Sorry not sure which Grey pipe in which photograph, the outlet pipe is shown in photograph #2, the elbow coming out of the lid and going away from the camera in 22mm pipe for around 10"(?).

Understand you concerns.

10. varat

varat New Member

So the black pipe that runs from the bottom of the macerator towards the camera was the feed from the bath and (maybe) sink and the macerator is directly fixed to the toilet. I am assuming the pipe that comes out of the lid the processed waste away from the macerator towards the back of the house and connects to the grey pipe shown in the photo below in red.

[​IMG]

Then when it arrives at the hatch it does a 90 degree angle carries on for a bit and goes down:

[​IMG]

Do you not think this is the waste pipe?

Thanks again.

11. rpm

I never assume anything, if it does connect to the Grey pipe then good as it is bigger and yes that elbow should be changed.

12. varat

varat New Member

Thank you. Would it be ok for a little while until we settle in to the house or would it need doing immediately?

13. rpm

Warn the service company ahead of the visit and they will do it then so saving the call-out cost.

14. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

As already said, not being there its impossible to be 100% accurate.

However, general access to the macerator is quite good. Seen much much worse.

What isn't good, just based on knowing how high off the ground the basic unit sits vs the run, is the fall.

Further, as again been mentioned, NO 90 degree bends are advised. At the very least, they should be 2 x 45 degrees. Personally, I would ask for the makers rep to visit, inspect & advise.

15. varat

varat New Member

I think you replied the wrong post? :)

• Disagree Disagree x 1