Search the forum,

Discuss Low water pressure on outside tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kingo_3

I live in a new build house and the water pressure to the outside garden tap is extremely low, it literally trickles out. I am therefore unable to run the hose pipe or use this tap for what it is designed. I am unsure why it is so low? The pressure to the main taps are high and the pressure to the washing machine which is on the same pipe inlet as the outside tap is also good. Is there a restrictor or something on the pipe that is reducing the water pressure so low? Can this be removed or by-passed?

I have included images of the outside tap and the pipe under the kitchen sink that runs to the outside tap?

2013-04-09 12.49.08.jpg 2013-04-09 12.49.42.jpg

It is not the pressure that is low but the flow rate. This is likely to be due to a blockage or restriction. Can you turn off the cold supply to the outside tap from inside ? If so shut it off & un-screw the tap (anti-clockwise) turn on water again & see what the flow is like now if OK, blockage is in tap (buy a new one) if it is the same the restriction is on the inside pipework.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris, I will give that a go and let you know! Thanks for the quick response... :teeth_smile:

Sorry, could not see your first picture for a while. It is most likely to be muck stuck against the double check valve (or it is broken). If you can turn the mains off & get it out either clean out or replace as required.

Your first picture shows two different isolation valves, one of which seems to be in the closed position and the other in a partly closed position. Are you opening both valves?

Your first picture shows two different isolation valves, one of which seems to be in the closed position and the other in a partly closed position. Are you opening both valves?

Looks more like an isolating valve with integral DC valve, as used on filling loops, to me.

You're right Mike, sorry I obviously didn't take in the picture carefully enough. The isolation valve still needs to be opened fully.

Last edited:
Turn the black plastic lever on the valve so it lines vertical.

The plumbers must of had a job lot of filling loops left over?

Thanks for your reply guys. I had both valves open but turned them off. Even with open the water pressure is poor. From what somebody told me it could be the rubber inside the tap / valve or even muck? Had a quote from a plummer to take it off clean it and replace for £40.

Thanks for your reply guys. I had both valves open but turned them off. Even with open the water pressure is poor. From what somebody told me it could be the rubber inside the tap / valve or even muck? Had a quote from a plummer to take it off clean it and replace for £40.

bargain! Book him in before he changes his mind!

Thanks... The builders (not all the trades) seemed to 'cut' a lot of corners with this house, found manya faults over the past two years, although to be fair they have come back out and fixed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Low water pressure on outside tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock