Search the forum,

Discuss Low/ No Gas pressure...please help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't suppose this thread would have originated had the OP employed an engineer off of the Gas Safe website.

It would be great if everyone on the GSR website are as knowledgeable as most people on this forum but the sad fact is, they arent.

We shouldn't speculate on who the OP has employed to carry out the work.

Hopefully the OP will come back and answer all the questions above being raised about the installer!

What makes me laugh are the people giving out boiler advice without being qualified to do so! It really is a case of the blind leading the blind and I'm certain that in the not to distant future it will lead to trouble.

It would be great if everyone on the GSR website are as knowledgeable as most people on this forum but the sad fact is, they arent.

We shouldn't speculate on who the OP has employed to carry out the work.

Hopefully the OP will come back and answer all the questions above being raised about the installer!

Who's speculating?
If even a novice GSR found themselves in this predicament all they would have to do is call in a Gas Safe Inspector who would visit the site and give them top quality advice free of charge.
What kind of 'engineer' gets their customer to post a question like this on an Internet forum?
Possibly one who's sole source of knowledge has been by posting questions on various forums.

This is a reccuring theme on these forums when people disappear, forum members automatically assume the OP has either come on here to find out how to solve the problem themselves or they are rogue installers!

I admit I do. Think about it. Double dip recession, free advice on here or get GSR engineer in. People will abuse this site... IMHO.

Sorry.

Maybe the OP is the engineer...

Could be, we may never know.
BUT, no one knows everything and it would be nice if a poster who has received advice tells us if we were right.
To be fair most of the problems posted are easily sorted by someone knowledgeable on site.
All we get is limited information and maybe a photo.

Could be, we may never know.

I may be wrong, but I say this because they said "we" in the first post.

They didn't seem to know anything about gas work, but stated "first fix" before anyone else metioned this, seems a bit odd for them to be referring to first fix don't you think?

Also, the OP stated tapping into the gas meter etc, why is then engineer not sorting the problem out? Why tell the customer they may need to tap in before the meter, again doesn't seem right, seems to me IMO that the OP is the engineer trying to get advice for free from here.

The OP asks "Is the bigger meter size (i think you said U16) domestic or commercial? " Why would the customer need to know this? Also from a quick look I didnt see anyone say U16 (but I might of missed that!)

Lastly, user name of SARA and signed the name in the first post as Aaliya.

IMHO sounds like we are getting played, but as Mountainman says we may never know.

any competent person reading the opening post would be suspicious imo, most experienced engineers that tried to reply questioned the thread for good reason. Righty or wrongly is a personal opinion i guess.

Its is a general forum rule to not give information to diy installers, just take a judgement on weather you think the op is genuine or not. Dont get upset tho if you dont like the responce's on an open forum.

The answer then is simple as I've said before. If you aren't happy (for whatever reason) about giving free advice to the public or grumble about posts, stick to the exclusive GSR forum. For those of us who are, we'll continue helping people in the main forums.

BTW, I'm not specifically saying that you grumble rodders!

the problem with this is if all the experienced sensible Gas Safe registered engineers on this forum stuck to the exclusive GSR forum it would mean the only answers posters get are from people using google or engineers who are happy to encourage illegal work.

i dont care if somebody kills themself aslong as it was not done with my advise.

Last edited:
I don't suppose this thread would have originated had the OP employed an engineer off of the Gas Safe website.

Unfortunately they might have I know of several engineers who are lazy, Incompetent or both. It is not always the customers fault the ACS are far too easy as its a case of if you can read you can pass it. Everybody was terrified when it went over from ACOPS ( I think I started gas just after it swapped) but from what I have been told of the old ACOPS it is just the same.

If I was the customer I would get another engineer in for a second opinion but an engineer that comes recommended from a friend/relative/neighbour.

It is a very basic problem and I would expect a good engineer to find the problem no problems but there are engineers who only fit and never have to find faults with things (As soon as it goes wrong they call the manufacturer) and as a customer you would not know that until its too late.

Unfortunately they might have I know of several engineers who are lazy, Incompetent or both. It is not always the customers fault the ACS are far too easy as its a case of if you can read you can pass it. Everybody was terrified when it went over from ACOPS ( I think I started gas just after it swapped) but from what I have been told of the old ACOPS it is just the same.

If I was the customer I would get another engineer in for a second opinion but an engineer that comes recommended from a friend/relative/neighbour.

It is a very basic problem and I would expect a good engineer to find the problem no problems but there are engineers who only fit and never have to find faults with things (As soon as it goes wrong they call the manufacturer) and as a customer you would not know that until its too late.

when i did my acops there was 2 painters, a chippy and a guy who was on the dole who all had no plumbing/gas experience on the course. They all passed :( even i did not have enough experience and knowledge to be competent really and it was the last year of my 4 year apprenticeship. Thats why they made the ACS alot harder to get on the course in the first place.

Maybe Millsy but if the engineer is GSR then they can call on free expert advice from Gas Safe.
I can only think of one reason why they wouldn't.

Maybe Millsy but if the engineer is GSR then they can call on free expert advice from Gas Safe.
I can only think of one reason why they wouldn't.

They can call gas safe but every time I have phoned them they have been absolutely useless, Ask them a question they dont really answer it they should be politicians really ( But in their defence the last 2 times I have phoned them it was on flues in voids and I dont think the person who thought that reg up knows every thing about it)

AWHeating: Is that why they changed it then to stop Non plumbers getting onto the courses as I said I started just after they changed over so I dont know much about ACOPS.When I first did mine I was in my 4th year of an apprenticeship I had been working on gas through that time with another person obviously (Right miserable sod and looked a bit like diamondgas avatar but was good at his job) but there were others who had never touched gas.I know now that you have to get a portfolio together and I think that is a really good idea.

I am sure that I read somewhere that it was the intention of the admin team at one time to put a gas safe logo up with the name/avatar of everyone who was registered.
that would be a really good addition, because then it would be clear to everyone, general public or regular forum members that the advice was coming from someone who had put in the time and was qualified to be giving the advice.
Rather than it simply being an unqualified person passing on what they thought they knew

just had a look for the thing about the logo for gsr
http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/g...ate-gas-safety-registered-plumbers-forum.html

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that Millsy, not good enough but maybe you've been unlucky.

Not a bad idea Simon, admin should be along in a while to advise.

AWHeating: Is that why they changed it then to stop Non plumbers getting onto the courses as I said I started just after they changed over so I dont know much about ACOPS.When I first did mine I was in my 4th year of an apprenticeship I had been working on gas through that time with another person obviously (Right miserable sod and looked a bit like diamondgas avatar but was good at his job) but there were others who had never touched gas.I know now that you have to get a portfolio together and I think that is a really good idea.

it was too easy to do and pass the acops course. There were alot of guys being put through it who were unemployed and had no prior experience of even basic plumbing. It was concerning to see two painters in white painter dungarees being showed how to test a flue and service a cooker.

I think the idea of having to prove some experience before being allowed to take the ACS is a good idea, tho there are plenty of fast track type course's that seem to get around whats required somehow. Not knocking all of these types of courses tho as i know some good engineers who went through them.

wow

Guys firstly apologies for the delay in reply, i simply had had enough and needed a break as the stress is getting overbearing. Anyway, i came back to check and update and tbh surprised of the number of replies for which i feel bad for no updating sooner.

Anyway here goes, since my last message, i looked into this further and decided to go for a new meter/ supply for the above extension. Why? Because it serves 2 purposes, i will need it for the long term to have a separate supply to make property separate and secondly it will eliminate any pressure problems at source. If that dont work then i will get someone, maybe still the existing guy to look at suggestions of blockages etc kindly mentioned above to be resolved. Incidentally, you think i should go for a U6 or U16 considering it will be about a 15 to 20 meter run now to boiler?

I've just read some responses above and feel the need to mention to those who keep banging on about GSR people should have looked at the job, Let me clarify and tell you that the current guy is GSR and before him i had 2 others who were GSR look at the job and NONE, i repeat NONE of them said that tapping into the current supply should be a problem and no problems were anticipated. The first fix was installed by another GSR.

For those thinking i am not a genuine questioner, just move onto another thread, especially AWheating; you seem to have an issue with this and keep repeating the same thing without any value AT ALL to your comments. Unlike other kind commenters here, you seem ssoooo negative and stuck in your own ways. Please move onto another thread (as i suggested before) if you cannot add value.

Thanks so much again to ALL who helped me here. I am just someone trying to learn as much as i can (unwillingly) because i have been thrown at he deep end to make sure the correct steps are taken to complete the overall extension project. I started with ZERO building experience and can probably now manage a build from scratch very easily after managing this project. Learning about the gas side is another part of the learning journey. Having said hat, i dont think i will be takin on another project in a hurry!!

Thanks again ALL

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Low/ No Gas pressure...please help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, We live in an 18 year old town house on three floors and have lived here from new. We changed the downstairs cloakroom and the family bathroom on the middle floor. Since then there has been a terrible smell of sewer gas in the house. This is not localised to the bathroom alone, it...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
Hello, would greatly appreciate some pointers Toilet downstairs drains slowly. First floor toilet causes bath to reflux water and make noise. Second floor toilet causes shower to gurgle. Tried Mr Muscle drain unblocker almost everywhere. Tried plunging the toilets, shower and bath. Tried a...
Replies
Views
What the easiest way to find why my boiler is losing pressure. It is about 5 years old Vaillant combi boiler, we have just had 2 vertical radiator removed and refitted for decorating and now the pressure keeps dropping approx once a week. I guess a leak under the floor is possible, or trapped...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock