Search the forum,

Discuss Low hot water pressure - whole house pump advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there,

New to the forums so hope this is the right place to post!

We've currently got a (presumably) fairly standard hot water setup = cold water tank in the loft, hot water tank in ground floor cupboard. It currently has a hot water supply off the top of the tank that runs upstairs to the bathroom basin taps (we don't have a bath currently) then on and back down to the kitchen taps, the vent pipe to the cold tank also runs off this before it reaches the first set of taps. It also has a separate hot supply off the side of the tank that runs up to an Aqualisa pumped shower unit in the loft (this then runs down through the bathroom ceiling to the shower head).

We suffer from low hot water pressure (the cold feed is very good mains pressure to all taps) and with a bathroom re-fit on the cards, I'm planning on putting a pump on the hot water supply with a view to run it to the whole house (the shower is being replaced with a standard bar mixer and a bath is being installed) and wanted to check my plans make sense. I've attached current/planned diagrams - hopefully they make sense!

My plan is to run the pipe out of the top of the tank solely as the vent pipe up to the cold tank in the loft then run the supply off the side of the tank into a single pump then use that to feed bathroom basin/bath taps, the bar mixer shower and the kitchen taps.

Two things I wanted to check:

- Is it safe/the done thing to run the pipe off the top solely as the vent pipe?
- Should I be looking to match the cold mains pressure with the hot pressure? (If so, what's the easiest/cheapest way of measuring the cold pressure?)

If anyone has anything else I should be looking out for/considering, it would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
James

Plumbing current.JPG

Plumbing planned.JPG

No major issues with what your suggesting. The only thing I would suggest is to run a twin impeller pump to feed both hot and cold supplies to the shower and if using a bath mixer, feed the bath too. It's not worth the hassle trying to balance the cold mains with the pumped hot supply. You've also got to consider what pump you require and for this I would speak to the pump manufacturer for their recomendation and for this Set up I would think that would be a universal/negative head pump.

No major issues with what your suggesting. The only thing I would suggest is to run a twin impeller pump to feed both hot and cold supplies to the shower and if using a bath mixer, feed the bath too. It's not worth the hassle trying to balance the cold mains with the pumped hot supply. You've also got to consider what pump you require and for this I would speak to the pump manufacturer for their recomendation and for this Set up I would think that would be a universal/negative head pump.

I take it the twin pump would take care of the balancing then?

I take it the twin pump would take care of the balancing then?
It would as both the hot and cold are fed from the same pump. Just ask the manufacturer when you speak to them, if using a twin pump to feed the hot only on the basin and kitchen sink will be an issue. I don't think it will as the duration the tap will likey be ran for shouldn't put the cold side impeller under and excess stress.

I hope this isn't hijacking (tell me to bugger off and start my own thread if so) but I'm looking at adding a pump to boost the hot water in my house. Due to the way the house has been extended over time most cold taps are on mains, so I think a single pump for hot only would suffice.

Does anyone have any recommendations for pumps? My main criteria are reliability and low noise levels, since the airing cupboard is above the sitting room and next to kid's bedroom.

Reply to Low hot water pressure - whole house pump advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock