Search the forum,

Discuss loss of bar pressure in two days - no leak anywhere. Logic 30 Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kx07fdp

Hi
I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be with my Logic 30 boiler.

I've had a problem which has the bar pressure dropping to zero within 2 days.
I've had the floorboards up and been crawling under the floor to check all pipework which shows no signs of leaking.
The radiators have been bleed and show no signs of leaking.
After reading somewhere that I should turn the taps off under the boiler to isolate the boiler and radiators. This was to see if the problem lay at the boiler end or radiators. The pressure is still dropping when the boiler was turned off and therefore I assume the problem must be at the boiler end.
Again, someone suggested the pressure relief valve was possibly damaged - I understand this hasnt been changed but was cleaned recently with no signs of dirt etc.
My question is obviously, what could the problem be and at what cost would it be to rectify the fault.
Also how much water must be lost to go from 1.5 bar to zero?
The pipework outside the house (from pressure relief valve) shows no signs of any water on the brickwork.
The front of the boiler has been taken off while the electric is off and there is no signs of water in the boiler area but the pressure is still dropping. The boiler is only about 3 years old too.
Cheers Chris
Newcastle upon tyne

Last edited by a moderator:
is there water passing down the condense pipe when the heating is cold?
sounds like time to call an engineer to diagnose and fix

is there water passing down the condense pipe when the heating is cold?
sounds like time to call an engineer to diagnose and fix

Cheers - I'll wrap a plastic bag around the end and check tomorrow - ta.

Cheers - I'll wrap a plastic bag around the end and check tomorrow - ta.

I've had my father around today (he's a retired plumber who can't work out this fault). He's attached a second pressure gauge to a pipe downstairs (it's actually the furthest point away from boiler). I've had the system on cold for around 5 hours now and the boiler gauge has dropped (not as much as when the central heating system is running), but it has definitely dropped.
However, the gauge downstairs hasn't moved. He assumed that both gauges would drop or not at all.
My father has had very little to do with combi boilers or boilers in general for the last 10 years or so and he's drawn a blank on where the leak can be.
I've got plastic bags on the ends of the condensate pipe and also the pipe which runs from the pressure relief valve (to outside the home).
I've had a telephone call from someone from ratedpeople.com who thinks the job can be fixed for under a £100 with the information I've given, but I'd like to know where the fault could be before I decide to say yes.
Cheers
Chris

simon f said the condense pipe not the safety discharge, it sounds like your hex is buggered, get a qualified, gas safe heating installer to look at it for you :)

simon f said the condense pipe not the safety discharge, it sounds like your hex is buggered, get a qualified, gas safe heating installer to look at it for you :)

Hi - thanks very much for reply.
I've only just got back down from garage roof and Simon was spot on.....the bag which was taped to the condense pipe was full of water. It's lost about half a cup in 5 hours.
We've had a fault with the boiler recently which had a blocked condensate trap. The boiler wouldn't fire up - I understand the trap has now been fully cleaned as we've had no problems with the boiler actually starting.
I think I've carried out all I can do legally so I think your right....time for a installer. Cheers

Any local guys from Newcastle upon tyne fancy a quote on this?

Hi - thanks very much for reply.
I've only just got back down from garage roof and Simon was spot on.....the bag which was taped to the condense pipe was full of water. It's lost about half a cup in 5 hours.
We've had a fault with the boiler recently which had a blocked condensate trap. The boiler wouldn't fire up - I understand the trap has now been fully cleaned as we've had no problems with the boiler actually starting.
I think I've carried out all I can do legally so I think your right....time for a installer. Cheers

Any local guys from Newcastle upon tyne fancy a quote on this?
Its worth ringing Ideal if the heat exchangers gone after only 3 years on their Logic, they might change it as a goodwill gesture. They dont want anymore bad press after their previous range!!

Did you use the ho****er in those hrs you had the heating off or did you turn the power off to the boiler?

Its worth ringing Ideal if the heat exchangers gone after only 3 years on their Logic, they might change it as a goodwill gesture. They dont want anymore bad press after their previous range!!
Thanks for that - email already sent...you never know :)

I assume you mean heat exchange when you are saying HEX (?)....Just priced one for about £40 so if it is that I assume it wouldn't be too much for the completed job. Like I say, anyone in Newcastle area want to give me a quote just private message me. Cheers.

I assume you mean heat exchange when you are saying HEX (?)....Just priced one for about £40 so if it is that I assume it wouldn't be too much for the completed job. Like I say, anyone in Newcastle area want to give me a quote just private message me. Cheers.

£40? Are you sure?

If its leaking through the condense it will be the heat engine, if the leak is in the plate the pressure probably wouldnt drop it would rise.
Thank you
Hopefully Ideal will change free of charge. cheers again

Just to end this thread - I've had a reply from Ideal and they are fixing the boiler free of charge. The guy came out this week and confirmed it was the heat exchange. New part has been ordered and will be fitted on Monday (out of warranty but free of charge).
Anyone thats followed this thread or has ended up here while searching for Ideal or Logic help will hopefully find that you can get boilers fixed out of warranty - I just quoted the "sales of goods act".
Cheers again for the replies.
Much appreciated!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to loss of bar pressure in two days - no leak anywhere. Logic 30 Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock