Search the forum,

Discuss Loosening nuts on radiator pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
Just wondering if anyone could advise me on loosening nuts on radiator pipes?
Basically trying to remove radiator to decorate behind – have closed the valves on TVR Manual Control side and also turned spindle on Lockshield side.
Managed to loosen nut on manual control side BUT the nut (think it’s called Union nut) on the lockshield side is really tough to budge. Using an adjustable spanner.
Would anyone know of there is a specific direction to loosen nut ether turn towards me or turn away or is there anything i could put on (like a spray i.e WD40) on nut to loosen it.
Many thanks, me no expert, far from it but novice trying to do my best with the rad removal -

Turn the opposite way to how you undid the other end.

If you pushed to floor, then now pull up to the wall.

Or if you pulled up towards the wall now push down to the floor.

Have a tray and bucket and towels handy to catch the water.

The vast majority of threaded fasteners have right hand threads. If you imagine a nut on a bolt, then with the nut nearer to you, and the head of the bolt pointing away from you, the nut will undo anti-clockwise, and will tighten up clockwise.

There are almost no left hand threaded components in plumbing, with the possible exception of the tails on some continental aluminium radiators. The nuts are normally identified with a groove round the outside, in the middle of the corners. They do up and undo in the opposite direction to right hand threads.

If you are having difficulty undoing a nut, it sometimes pays to tighten it a fraction before undoing it, as this can break any corrosion / lime-scale type seal.

UPDATE:
Many thanks for this – very good advice – i got some pump pliers to help me with the gripping/steadying the upstand but didn’t use them in the end – what worked was the tightening of the nut slightly before undoing it! Many thanks – and the direction were spot on too so thanks Men – great advice!
I will reattach rad soon and I assume the process is the same but in reverse with the nuts?
Also do I need to do anything with the bleed valve on this radiator and the rest before I re-pressurize the system?
I have STELRAD rads and Worcester B combi boiler.
Step by step guide and pointers to look out for would be greatly appreciated....
I know to check all of mu nuts and vales before I re-pressurize so I shall do this with great attention and repressurise to 1.5 on boiler......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Loosening nuts on radiator pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I am trying to replace my bathroom tap with a new one, I am trying to remove the existing rusty flexible tap connectors from this bit of 22mm copper pipe. But this thing is not budging at all its like its welded or super glued on, I am using some water pliers on both points here but its not...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to remove some radiators for redecorating and went to try and shut off the valves either side of my rad. I have TRV on one side and on the other side I noticed a blank top with no valve or peg sticking out that allows you to turn on or off (see pictures). I checked the other rads in...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
O
Hi All, We renovated our house in 2019 and put in completely new plumbing system and piping including new boiler and 9 radiators. Off those, there is one radiator in the living room which does not heat up at all. I have tried balancing myself and also had a professional come in to balance it...
Replies
Views
Our house was built in 2007 and we are the second family to live here - moving in in 2017. The central heating has been working fine - although the gas boiler is perhaps nearing the end of its life. But the boiler is not our current issue. Last winter two of the radiators did not heat up and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock