Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Looking to purchase Viper books and self study workbooks. Any good? in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. John Downes

John Downes Member

As the title says I'm looking to purchase a bunch of books to begin studying gas.

Is it worth spending £320 on books to prepare me for the course I'm looking to book myself in to?

The course I believe consists of 8 days training and 3 days assessment (that maybe wrong as its off the top of my head)

I want to do this right as its a big step for myself also I don't want to spend money unnecessarily.

Anyone purchased these books and are they worth their weight?

Thanks.

2. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Are you new to the industry or are you a plumber?

3. John Downes

John Downes Member

No I'm time served. Level 3 (renewables - not happy about that but thats what i had to do) OFTEC registered and have experience fitting gas boilers (work was signed off by a GS engineer)

4. MaksimsK

MaksimsK GSR

Spent 50£ on Bpec book (Domestic Gas Safety Manual), it's good to start with. But when I was in Training Center, they gave me the same materials for free and it was writen on simple english.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  5. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

John , I have some niceic books from my last acs , excellent books , they are like new. Free if you want them , just cover postage .
    Just let me know if you are interested

• Like Like x 4
  6. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

When you sign up for the course you will be provided with a training pack which will provide you with all the information you need to pass your assements , you could pay for your course earlier so you can collect your study pack before hand why pay twice ? . Cheers kop

7. sammathias

sammathias Plumber GSR

yeh just buy a bpec domestic gas safety. read it a few times and you will be fine. ACS is all open books which are all provided but you need to know the basics otherwise you will run out of time on test.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jay Jay

Jay Jay Member

I find the logic and viper books very easy to understand , where bepec and nieic books aren’t laid out helpful. Just my opinion though

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Go for the books the training centre use.
    Do you have to get a portfolio etc?

• Agree Agree x 1