Search the forum,

Discuss Looking for a super wide adjustable, can't find one big enough that's good enough. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys looking an adjustable that is big enough to get on pump valves.

Superwide Jaws Adjustable Wrench 8 inch (200mm) | Toolstation

Had this but it snapped when wrestling with a seized nut, i will be replacing it as it is handy on cisterns but not really strong enough for much else.

Any recommendations? I can't find any others big enough.

If anyone can help that would be great.

Thanks

Re: Looking for a super wide adjustable, can't find one big enough that's good enough

I bought Bahco ones when I got all my tools nicked the second time. Seem ok but expensive.

Re: Looking for a super wide adjustable, can't find one big enough that's good enough

Pump unions and adjustable spanners is a recipe for disaster. Either the head will be in the way or your going to slip and hurt your digits. Either foot prints stilsons or a set of these
image.jpg

18" Bahco but they are damned expensive.

Thanks guys. I know adjustables are not the preferred option for most on pump valves. I do have a set of stilsons that have come on handy. I will probably stick with these.

I have a couple of Bahco adjustables and i think they are quality. Lost a set and replaced them but it's a killer because they are not cheap. The last adjustable i got was a cheapo and it works fine but i obviously don't expect it to last long but for the price i paid i won't lose any sleep.

Pump unions and adjustable spanners is a recipe for disaster. Either the head will be in the way or your going to slip and hurt your digits. Either foot prints stilsons or a set of these
View attachment 20854

What are these called?, i like the look of those smooth jaws, i have a set of grips with the smooth jaws from PTS, good but were not cheap either. And do not open particularly wide.

I'll have to wait for my numbers to come in tonight! :)
I think if you look on the American amazon its miles cheaper including p&p I'm sure that's where I got mine

Auto adjustable wrench

12 inch footprints and two hammers

Proper spanner all the way, if it fails then battery grinder to cut nuts off and replace with recycled spares.

Pump Nut Spanner 52mm | Pipe Wrenches | NoLinkingToThis

The best thing for pump valves and other large stubborn nuts is a chain wrench. Best tool I own for the big stuff. Good on iron pipe too and doesn't mark pipe/nuts like stillys do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Looking for a super wide adjustable, can't find one big enough that's good enough. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks ok to me.....sound but the bowl has seen a lot of work. So she wants a new one...Astracast it seems are no more. The problem is its size.....looked...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one ....just easy to use and reliable. The fluke 115 looks good but its above my budget. My current socket and see one was great but it's developed a fault.
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock