Search the forum,

Discuss Looking for a boiler/gas engineer - Southwest London in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Freezing1

Hi - first time posting here but have been reading a lot of posts! I don't know a lot about central heating systems, so apologies if I over explain what is happening.

I've got a Glowworm Compact 100e combi boiler which we have called out three engineers to have a look at and none of them can give us a straight answer to what's going on.

The demand hot water works fine, I should say - the problem is with the central heating circuit. The radiators in the house have been running significantly cooler than they did last winter. Plus the burner would come on for just 10-15 seconds at a time and then go off for several minutes, so the amount of heat being put into the system was obviously very low.

So we figured it must be a blockage in the system.

The first chap flushed the system and during the flush, the radiators around the house were very hot. When he disconnected his pump, the temperature in the system went down and the pump made a lot of noise. He said we needed to get a new pump but unfortunately he couldn't do it.

So we got a second engineer out who agreed, it was the pump and got a new one. He also noted that the flow restrictor or flow switch had been installed backwards(?), so he got a new one and installed that. After installing it, the pump ran more quietly but the burner still doesn't fire up for more than 10 seconds at a time.

He suspected a blockage in the heat exchanger so he hooked up a pump and ran water through it and said that it appeared to be fine.

He carried on doing some other things and then finally gave up, leaving without charging us anything, even for the new pump he had fitted because he 'felt bad' about not being able to fix it.

The third chap came and discovered that a valve on the outbound leg of the central heating circuit was closed, so he reopened that which means we have a trickle of heat moving around the system but after looking at it for an hour said it was most likely a blockage in the heat exchanger.

So I suspect the problem is that the engineers we have seen so far aren't knowledgeable enough about this model of boiler, so I'm looking for someone with some expertise to come out and diagnose the problem. I have contacted Glowworm who said the boiler is obsolete since 2014 so they won't service it.

Would love to hear from anyone who has an idea what the problem might be.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum, can`t help you myself I`m afraid but sounds like the second guy was a decent guy so keep his number for other plumbing stuff should you need him.

If anyone is interested in carrying out the necessary work please contact the op directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Looking for a boiler/gas engineer - Southwest London in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock