1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Loft cold water tank keeps running out in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. HansGruber

HansGruber New Member

Our bath and en-suite shower is fed from a cold water tank in the loft. My kids have decided they like the shower but stay in it a long time. This causes the tank to empty and airlock the shower pump. I then have to the disconnect and bleed the the cold water feed.

I there a way to make the water tank fill quicker so it doesn't run out? Can something be adjusted or will it require a new fill tap/valve? If so any idea how much this should cost?

2. leelister6

leelister6 Plumber GSR

You're gonna need a bigger tank

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

Bigger tank is best, but it no room consider a Shower Power Booster from Alan Wright or Flowflex

• Like Like x 1
  4. HansGruber

HansGruber New Member

Does that power booster replace the pump? It doesn't look like much. How does it work? Would it be case of the water still runs out but then I just wait for it to refill rather than having to faff about bleeding.

5. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

I missed the fact you already have a pump after an intermediate high level storage tank. Can you but up a simple diagram showing hot feed cold feed relative levels etc.centralheatking

• Like Like x 1
  6. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Make sure the ball valve is filling as fast as possible.
    Sometimes they can have debris stuck inside the nozzle part, or the washer is swollen and stays almost closed off.

Also tell your kids to only take a few minutes for a shower and also for them to turn shower off while they are soaping themselves.
    The water - including hot water, that you are wasting down the waste pipe will be costly.
    Laughable that we have regs for toilets being 3/6litre flush to save water nowadays and yet we have power showers that can empty a 200litre tank in minutes

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR

I'd be looking at a bigger tank in the loft. If your header tank is running dry before your running out of hot water then it's definitely not big enough.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. HansGruber

HansGruber New Member

Thanks all. To answer some questions there is the cold tank in the loft and the hot water cylinder is in the 1st floor airing cupboard. The cold supply for the shower shower oddly has a run to the shower, back to above the cupboard and down to the pump and then back to the shower.

Here are a couple of the pictures from my thread when the shower pump first stopped working.

Does the hot water cylinder fill from the mains or is it likely to be filled from the cold tank?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. HansGruber

HansGruber New Member

Just to add as spam filter stopped me editing my post??? the central heating boiler is below the airing cupboard on the ground floor.

10. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Pump is piped wrong for a start

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Millsy 82

Millsy 82 Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

That's a beauty of an install. I bet whoever did that went home proud.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. HansGruber

HansGruber New Member

I'm no plumber but have questioned it. It wasn't done on my watch.

Can you elaborate on why the pump is piped wrong?

I will try and get a video of the loft tank filing and hopefully someone can tell me if that's as good as it gets and I need a bigger tank, or if it can be improved.

Is the overall install really that bad? If so what would you do to fix it?

13. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

For a start I wouldn’t have done it in plastic but thats by the by. The pump requires a dedicated hot and cold feed. From your pic you can see that the hot feed is just teed off the main hot outlet. This will result in air being pulled into the pump also. You will need a suitable flange to sort this

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Jones82

Jones82 GSR

Generally speaking most manufacturers recommend 50 gallons of water for each shower pump, you currently have 25. I would install another 25 gallon tank next to the existing one. Running out of water may also have damaged the pump.

Ask a plumber to quote for fitting an essex flange and fitting an extra tank for the shower, while your at it, how old's the pump? Anything more than 5-10 years and Id be tempted to replace that too. Don't be tempted by a £100 pump, you should be spending £200-£300 plus on a good brand with a guarantee.

• Like Like x 1
  15. HansGruber

HansGruber New Member

Could anyone recommend a pump that doesn't sound like an aircraft about to take off? I was tempted to put some matting under it but I'm going to change it I may as well try and get a quite one.

Also any idea as to overall cost for pump, piping and tank etc?