Search the forum,

Discuss Loctite 577 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Plumber

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Loctite 577, What are you paying.
Have you used it a lot and what do you think of it ?

Has anyone used Loctite 518 for anything ?

Just curious !

I use 577 for making valves into chrome towel rails and bib taps into back plates. Not had any leaks. But I'm not confident enough to use it for anthing hidden.

I use 577 for making valves into chrome towel rails and bib taps into back plates. Not had any leaks. But I'm not confident enough to use it for anthing hidden.

Do you trust me if yes your fine it's the only thing I use now for small stuff (2" and below) hasn't had a drip yep

Sounds impressive.
I take it you've thrown the boss white and hemp out then ?

Nope still on the van always carry a Hank of it :)

For steel and the big stuff

Good man, same here, Don't let the old habits die out.
Can't beat the smell it gives your van on a hot summers day mmmmmm!

Cleans your fingers as well (boss white)

Use 577 loads and had no issues, e bay is the cheapest place i've found. I buy the smaller pots then top them up from the larger ones.

Ive used 577 since they brought it out around 20 years ago Ive never had a leak even at temperatures up-to 140 degrees

Very expensive! I am too mean to buy it.
Very few joints I would ever be doing that I would have any doubt about just using right amount of ptfe tape and some sort of paste.
Only joints on rare occasions I would like to use Loctite 577 is on joints with few threads and where it needs a locked joint.

ÂŁ57.00 + vat for the last 300ml tube I bought in June, I agree its expensive but it works every time all the time

What would you regularly use Loctite 577 on?
Why I ask this is most threaded sealed joints I have to do are rad valves tails, male and female joints on or on plumbing to copper cylinders, stainless steel unvented units, oil boilers, expansion vessels, outside taps and oil fittings. I use ptfe tape on all these plus some sort of paste, depending on what I am sealing, (example is Heldite on oil).

Last edited:
For general domestic plumbing probably not much other than rad tails as you stated. But it works every time every time its used. I do refrigeration as well as glycol and steam equipment and the stuff is faultless. The 572 they had before and still produce was also good but had a much longer cure time

What would you regularly use Loctite 577 on?
Why I ask this is most threaded sealed joints I have to do are rad valves tails, male and female joints on or on plumbing to copper cylinders, stainless steel unvented units, oil boilers, expansion vessels, outside taps and oil fittings. I use ptfe tape on all these plus some sort of paste, depending on what I am sealing, (example is Heldite on oil).

anything what you use ptfe tape on you can use this even olives if your in a diy mood :D

For general domestic plumbing probably not much other than rad tails as you stated. But it works every time every time its used. I do refrigeration as well as glycol and steam equipment and the stuff is faultless. The 572 they had before and still produce was also good but had a much longer cure time

Really then not something I need, as I only do ordinary type plumbing and heating plus oil pipes work. For rad valve tails I wouldn't use anything else other than ptfe tape and paste, - takes a little time, but never will leak if tape makes the joint tight to turn full in.
But I would get some 577 for those special jobs that are hard to seal. I stupidly removed a built in hard fibre washer on a tail to a fancy rad valve and really could do with something better than ptfe

anything what you use ptfe tape on you can use this even olives if your in a diy mood :D

Paste always on olives for me. Jet Lube V2 usually. Tenner a tub. That's as expensive as I go. :smile:

If that works for you that good, sometimes its whats in the van

577 it is then

Yes, I will give it a go. The cord seal also worth trying.
Did you know the sealant and cord seal Lidl sell is made by same company that make Loctite stuff? Henkel, I think if I spelt it right

Loctite 55 ? ( cord ) ?

Fab stuff.

Never known that leak, personally. about ÂŁ10 a go but lasts ages.

Not sure how the 510 can increase the torque capacity of assembled flanges though.

Do you trust me if yes your fine it's the only thing I use now for small stuff (2" and below) hasn't had a drip yep

So on, say an 1 1/2 adaptor into female steel thread. How much would you use and where is the best place to put it? Do you still tighten it tight and how long is it left before water test?
And on the subject, using the loctite 55 cord, what's the preferred method. And do you use this too. .
Sorry for all the questions!!:wazzzup:

So on, say an 1 1/2 adaptor into female steel thread. How much would you use and where is the best place to put it? Do you still tighten it tight and how long is it left before water test?
And on the subject, using the loctite 55 cord, what's the preferred method. And do you use this too. .
Sorry for all the questions!!:wazzzup:

About a one thread in and the nozzle is pre opened/ cut just put one bead all the way round

Testing wise low pressure upto 5 bar instant but drys in 24 hours

Water gas lpg safe

55 about the same as ptfe but rough the threads up with grips first and how much tells you on bottle/ container

Hope this makes sense if not will get some pics for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Loctite 577 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock