Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking kitchen mixer tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Morning all,

Just after a wee bit of advice re. my kitchen tap which has a slow leak from the hot tap - though when I open the leak becomes more obvious. No problem from the cold water tap.

I presume the washer needs replacing, but it doesn't seem immediately obvious how I get at it. Does anyone have any ideas? I've attached a few pictures for info - no idea as to the manufacturer other than 'Elite' is on the cold tap. Hopefully someone with greater expertise will know, and needless to say any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Tim
20180916_114253.jpg
20180916_114305.jpg
20180916_114311.jpg
20180916_114320.jpg

Thinking Elite is a tap by Crosswater, not part of their current range though.
Start by prising out the plastic end caps which will hopefully reveal a screw then prise off the covers. Turn water off first of course ;)

Cheers, that's just the ticket! Turning off the mains water cuts the cold but not the hot, just need to figure that out now... thanks again!

Cheers, that's just the ticket! Turning off the mains water cuts the cold but not the hot, just need to figure that out now... thanks again!
If you’re on on a gravity fed system, IE you have a hot water cylinder somewhere. You will need to isolate that for the hot.

Why the different heads?
The left side (hot) looks like a Franke Davos head. But the rest of tap does not look like it is Franke.
The red plastic bit will prise out of center and you should find a Phillips screw below.
That will be quarter turn (ceramic disc) and isn’t just a washer to replace.
You need new ceramic works to suit the head but might be best to replace the entire tap.

Why the different heads?
The left side (hot) looks like a Franke Davos head. But the rest of tap does not look like it is Franke.
The red plastic bit will prise out of center and you should find a Phillips screw below.
That will be quarter turn (ceramic disc) and isn’t just a washer to replace.
You need new ceramic works to suit the head but might be best to replace the entire tap.

Many thanks - got the water turned off, flathead screw removed and opened it up to find this inside. Need a wrench to investigate further but I suspect you're right, replacing the entire thing might be for the best. Thanks again!

20180916_144420.jpg

20180916_145000.jpg

Many thanks - got the water turned off, flathead screw removed and opened it up to find this inside. Need a wrench to investigate further but I suspect you're right, replacing the entire thing might be for the best. Thanks again!

View attachment 34487

View attachment 34489

It looks like the hot works are as I thought - Franke, to match the head. Somebody must have just put a used part on it
To replace that would cost £20 from Central Services.
If you could source a pair of quarter turn heads and works, then that would sort it for you, but perhaps best to buy a new mixer, especially if that old mixer is worn or leaking at spout.

To be honest, with the spout being in the poor condition it is I'd simply replace it. Make sure you get one with separate hot and cold controls as this is and then it can be fixed for ever... Not allowed to say how tho :mad:

Thanks folks for all your advice, really appreciate it - going to just replace the whole thing amd be done with it. Cheers!

Reply to Leaking kitchen mixer tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock