Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Leaking cold water tap 3in1 mixer in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. RJManville

RJManville New Member

Hi,

My cold water tap has started leaking tonight and when I turn the tap (with or without the water turned on) there’s a slight grinding which feels like limescale or similar. My tap is a Bristan Quest 3 in 1 mixer and I’ve found a brief guide on maintainence for the taps. The instructions say to remove the handle (before replacing internal parts), but there’s no screw or anything else external holding the handle in place. I don’t want to pull too hard in case the whole mixer comes with it and I’m not sure how else it comes off. Has anyone come across this mixer/taps before and can give me some advice?

https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81mE-zqEtXS.pdf

Cheers,
    Ryan

2. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR

Hi Ryan,

Judging by the attached document, I would say it pulls off. Is the tap not under warranty? from what you have described I would suggest that the ceramic disc valve has broken, I have come across a lot of these that grind, it’s a new ceramic valve replacement my friend and will have to obtain correct one.

3. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

The handles pull off. Quest is still a range that Bristan sell, but you may find that different years of sale = different cartridges so be prepared for frustration!
    You will not find them in a plumbers merchants i.e. over the counter unfortunately...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. RJManville

RJManville New Member

Cheers guys. The handle was pretty much welded shut with limescale, but it’s off.

I think the faucet needs changing so I hope you’re wrong Dave. I’ve found a two pack on screwfix which look identical to the one from my mixer. Hopefully they do the trick.

Ryan

• Like Like x 1
  5. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

The fins that hold the tap may be different. But let’s hope not.

6. YorkshireDave

Well, its a 1:5000 chance of being an exact replica Wayne ;)

Where are you today? Im not far from Silverstone

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I’m in Sutton Coldfield all day today mate. You passing by the M42?

8. YorkshireDave

Text me a post code and I'll see ;)